Current Location

Fetching weather...

Police officers ‘seriously injured’ as crash closes M90

The marked police vehicle crashed while responding to reports of a drink-driver on the motorway.

Closed: Part of the M90 was shut overnight. STV

Two police officers have been “seriously injured” after crashing on the M90.

The officers were responding to reports of a drink-driver when they left the roadway and crashed onto a grass verge on Sunday night at around 9.40pm.

The driver of the marked BMW 330 patrol car had to be removed from the vehicle by firefighters.

He was then transported to the Western General Hospital in Edinburgh with neurological injuries.

His passenger was taken to Ninewells Hospital in Dundee with back injuries.

On Monday morning, chief superintendent Stewart Carle thanked the passing motorists and “999 responders who gave treatment”.

The M90 remained closed overnight between J4 Kelty in Fife and J5 Gairneybridge in Perth and Kinross while a full crash scene investigation took place.

The road eventually reopened at 9.20am on Monday.

Traffic Scotland advised: “Traffic remains heavy in the area and should start to clear soon. Thank you for your patience.”

Chief inspector Mark Patterson, from Road Policing East, said: “The officers in the patrol car were responding to the report of a drunk driver on the motorway when the collision happened.

“Our thoughts are with both officers and their families at this time.

“I would appeal to anyone who may have witnessed this collision to call Police Scotland on the 101 number.”

Crash: Two officers were taken to hospital. STV

A Scottish Ambulance Service spokeswoman added: “We received a call at 9.55pm to attend a road traffic collision on the M90 near Kelty.

“Two ambulances, our special operations response team and the trauma team were sent to the scene and one patient was taken to Ninewells Hospital, with a second patient taken to Edinburgh Royal Infirmary.”

You're up to date

You've read today's top stories. Where would you like to go next?