The American fugitive Nicholas Rossi has returned to Scotland after being questioned on suspicion of rape in England.
The 36-year old was taken from prison in Edinburgh on Wednesday morning to be questioned by Essex Police in connection with a rape allegation in Chelmsford from 2017.
An extradition order to return Rossi to the United States was approved by the Scottish Government last month.
On Friday, Essex Police said Rossi had been bailed with no charges.
STV News understands that he has since left England and been returned to Scotland.
A spokesperson for the force said: “Essex Police officers investigating a non-recent allegation of rape arrested and questioned a 36-year-old man.
“The report was made to us in April 2022.
“Since the report was made, we have been in consistent contact with all appropriate authorities in order to interview a suspect who has been subject to separate ongoing legal proceedings.
“On Wednesday, October 11, a 36-year-old man was arrested and interviewed.
“He has been released on bail until January 3, 2024 whilst our enquiries continue.”
STV News is now on WhatsApp
Get all the latest news from around the countryFollow STV News
Follow STV News on WhatsApp
Scan the QR code on your mobile device for all the latest news from around the country