A man who was arrested outside Buckingham Palace after throwing suspected shotgun cartridges into the grounds has been detained under the Mental Health Act.
The 59-year-old was arrested on suspicion of possessing a knife and ammunition on Tuesday after he asked to speak to a soldier before warning police to handle his rucksack carefully.
On Thursday, the Metropolitan Police said he was detained under the Mental Health Act on Wednesday and taken to hospital, where he will remain on bail while receiving medical care.
Metropolitan Police deputy assistant commissioner Ade Adelekan said the man had initially asked police officers if he could speak to a soldier.
When the officers said that was not possible, the man allegedly began throwing the ammunition.
He was searched and allegedly found to be in possession of a lock knife.
He was then arrested on suspicion of possession of a knife and ammunition.
During the arrest, the man told officers that they should handle his rucksack with care, which led to a controlled explosion being carried out on the bag.
There were no reported injuries and the incident is not being treated as terror-related.
Neither the King nor the Queen Consort were at Buckingham Palace at the time of the incident, but Charles did host Australian Prime Minister Anthony Albanese during an audience there earlier on Tuesday.