Tributes paid to footballer who died after crashing near roundabout

Gavin Stokes died following a collision on Saturday morning near the Thornwood roundabout in Glasgow.

Tributes paid to footballer who died after crashing near roundabout in Glasgow Facebook

Tributes have been paid to a man who is said to have scored one of the fastest goals recorded in football after he was killed in a car crash in Glasgow.

Gavin Stokes died after he appeared to lose control of his Mercedes GLC, which left the road at Thornwood roundabout at about 1.10am on Saturday.

Officers attended, but the 30-year-old was pronounced dead at the scene.

The former electrician’s family have since paid tribute to Mr Stokes.

They said he is remembered for scoring one of the world’s fastest ever recorded goals in just over two seconds for Maryhill Juniors against Clydebank back in April 2017.

Media reports at the time, including Sky Sports, said his goal was unofficially clocked at 2.1 seconds, making it one of the quickest goals in British football history.

Mr Stokes’ relatives said he played with various football clubs, including Dundee United, Kilbirnie, Maryhill Juniors, Irvine Meadow, Alloa Athletic, Dundee United and the Scotland International Team.

Describing him as a beloved son, amazing dad, brother, uncle and friend, the family added: “He was the life and soul of the party.

“One of the most important things in Gavin’s life was being with his son Freddie.

“Gavin and his partner, Lauren, brought him up to be the best boy ever.

“Freddie was Gavin’s whole world and spending time with him was his favourite thing to do.

“Gavin also loved his mum Alice, dad Edward, sister Shannon, brother Garry, and niece Isla very dearly, and he will be greatly missed.”

His former club, Caledonian Braves, wrote: “All at the club are absolutely devastated to hear of the untimely death of former player Gavin Stokes. Well liked by all who knew him ‘Stokesy’ wore his heart on his sleeve and left everything on the park.

“Big love and strength to all his friends and family.”

Police Scotland confirmed the name of the 30-year-old victim.

STV News is now on WhatsApp

Get all the latest news from around the country

Follow STV News
Follow STV News on WhatsApp

Scan the QR code on your mobile device for all the latest news from around the country

WhatsApp channel QR Code