Teenage boy arrested over death of Stagecoach bus driver 

Company 'shocked and saddened' following incident at Elgin Bus Station on Saturday morning.

Teenage boy arrested over death of Stagecoach bus driver in Elgin, Moray Tyler McNeill

Stagecoach says it is “shocked and saddened” after one of the company’s drivers died following an assault at a bus station in Moray.

Emergency services were called to Elgin bus station on Saturday morning and a 58-year-old man was taken to Dr Gray’s Hospital, where he later died.

A 15-year-old boy has been arrested in connection with the incident.

A spokesperson for Stagecoach North Scotland said: “We are shocked and saddened by this news and our immediate thoughts are with the family and friends of our driver who has sadly passed away.

“Safety is our number one priority and incidents like this are extremely rare. We are doing everything we can to support our colleagues and our driver’s family as well as assisting the police in their investigation.”

Floral tributes at Elgin bus station.

Elgin bus station was closed on Saturday as police investigated the incident, with operator Stagecoach Bluebird cancelling a number of services.

Moray MSP Richard Lochhead said: “My thoughts are with the bus driver’s loved ones and friends and it goes without saying that the local community is shocked by this tragic and horrific incident.

“This will also be an incredibly difficult time for everyone at the local Stagecoach depot. Everyone working on our local buses provide an essential service and should be able to return home safe and well from their shift.

Meanwhile, Scottish Conservative leader Douglas Ross, the MP for Moray, described the incident as “shocking and appalling”.

He said: “People across Moray will be shocked by what has happened. Those who work on and use our local bus services must be able to do so safely and without fear.”

“I’ve been in touch with the police and the bus company. In the meantime, my thoughts are very much with everyone affected.”

A Police Scotland spokesperson said: “Around 10.40pm on Friday, 2 February, 2024, police were called to the St Giles Road area of Elgin following a report of the assault of a 58-year-old man.

“Emergency services attended, and the man was taken to Dr Grays Hospital in Elgin where he later died.

“A 15-year-old male youth has been arrested in connection with the incident and enquiries are continuing.”

STV News is now on WhatsApp

Get all the latest news from around the country

Follow STV News
Follow STV News on WhatsApp

Scan the QR code on your mobile device for all the latest news from around the country

WhatsApp channel QR Code
Posted in