Livingston end life in the Premiership with dull draw against Hibs

David Martindale's side head to the Championship after a six-year Premiership stay.

Livingston end life in the Premiership with dull draw against Hibs SNS Group

Relegated Livingston ended their six-year stay in the cinch Premiership with a 1-1 draw with Hibernian at the Tony Macaroni Arena, as Bruce Anderson cancelled out Myziane Maolida’s deflected strike.

In a match that meant little to either side in terms of league position, the match lacked quality until Maolida connected well with a left-footed attempt that took a nick and flew into the far corner shortly after half-time.

But Anderson ensured Livingston’s disappointing campaign would not end in another defeat as he neatly brought down Joel Nouble’s cross before sliding the ball home.

The draw means Hibs end a poor campaign in 8th place, while the Lions – whose relegation was confirmed earlier this month – will continue to prepare for life in the Championship.

Both managers made just one change from their midweek fixtures, with Andrew Shinnie coming in for Steven Bradley for Livi and Jordan Obita replacing Lewis Stevenson in the Hibs starting line up.

It was the home side who had the first effort on target as Michael Nottingham met a Sean Kelly corner in the 12th minute but his headed effort was saved comfortably by Joseph Wollacott.

It took until the 29th minute for the next chance as Nectarios Triantis played a neat one-two with Joe Newell before firing narrowly wide of the post via a deflection.

Josh Campbell then fired just past the opposite post from a similar position in the 37th minute and Newell saw another long-range effort easily saved moments later as a forgettable opening period ended goalless.

The first half may have been uneventful but it took only four minutes of the second half for the game’s first goal as the visitors grabbed the opener.

Maolida showered persistence at the edge of the box and, after having an effort blocked, his left-footed attempt took a deflection and flew into the top right-hand corner, leaving Livi keeper Shamal George with no chance.

Hibs looked to extend their lead and Campbell volleyed over when well placed before Livingston grabbed the equaliser on 67 minutes.

Nouble was the architect with a dangerous inswinging cross and – after Obita and Nottingham collided in the six yard box – the ball was expertly brought down by Anderson who slotted a cool finish past Wollacott.

Hibs began to pepper the Livingston goal as they looked to get back in front, with Adam Le Fondre volleying over and Obita and Martin Boyle seeing attempts blocked.

Anderson then thought he had won it for the hosts in the 84th minute as he raced through to finish but the assistant referee’s flag was up for offside as the match ended all square.

STV News is now on WhatsApp

Get all the latest news from around the country

Follow STV News
Follow STV News on WhatsApp

Scan the QR code on your mobile device for all the latest news from around the country

WhatsApp channel QR Code