Several homes have been damaged by fire and smoke after furniture piled outside was set alight.
The burning pile of furniture was discovered at around 5.30pm on Wednesday in Yeaman’s Lane in Dundee.
A resident told STV News the discarded household goods next to the block of flats had been reported to the city council only the day before.
All the residents of the block were evacuated while emergency services worked to extinguish the flames.
Officers have appealed for information to determine the events that lead to the fire starting.
Sergeant Paul McIlravey said: “Thankfully no one was injured and the fire was put out by the Scottish Fire and Rescue Service. The fire resulted in damage to several flats and the communal roof.
“It is currently unknown how the fire was started and we are keen to speak to anyone who saw anything suspicious in the area at the time.
“Anyone who can help is asked to contact Police Scotland on 101, quoting incident number 2839 of Wednesday, August 25, 2021, or make a call anonymously to the charity Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.”
STV News is now on WhatsApp
Get all the latest news from around the countryFollow STV News
Follow STV News on WhatsApp
Scan the QR code on your mobile device for all the latest news from around the country