Woman dies following Brixton O2 Academy 'crowd crush'

Rebecca Ikumelo, 33, was taken to hospital after a large crowd tried to force their way into the venue.

Woman dies following Brixton O2 Academy ‘crowd crush’ @DammySNM/@elleleox

A woman has died following a suspected crowd crush at a south London concert venue.

Rebecca Ikumelo, 33, was taken to hospital from the O2 Academy Brixton by ambulance after a large crowd tried to force their way into the venue.

Metropolitan Police said that two other women – aged 21 and 23 – remain in a critical condition.

The incident occurred at a concert by Nigerian artist Asake on Thursday night.

Footage posted online showed large crowds outside the building on Thursday night, with many holding up mobile phones and filming the scene.

In a statement outside Brixton police station on Friday afternoon, chief superintendent Colin Wingrove said an “urgent investigation” was under way.

He said one person had been arrested on suspicion of assaulting a police officer, and three people were in critical condition in hospital following the incident.

Ch Supt Wingrove added that an incident in which a member of public appeared to have been “pushed” by a police officer was under review by the force’s director of professional standards.

A total of eight people were taken to hospital after a crowd attempted to gain entry without tickets, the Metropolitan Police previously confirmed.

Asake, whose real name is Ahmed Ololade, said in a statement on Instagram: “My heart is with those who were injured last night and caused any form of discomfort. I pray you get well soonest.

“I am also in the process of reaching out to individuals.

“I still do not have the full brief from the venue management themselves as to what led to the disruption at the entrance of the Brixton Academy, but we are thankful that all was peaceful at the end.

“For my people who enjoyed the beginning of my performance, I am sorry that it was cut short.

“Thank you for your unbelievable love, London. I love you too much! I’m looking forward to seeing you again in a bit!”

Ahead of the gig, he had posted on Twitter asking fans not to come to the venue unless they had a valid ticket.

The concert was the third of three sold-out dates at the 4,921-standing capacity venue and concluded a run of UK dates.