Westminster 'to consider legislation to remove Andrew from line of succession'

It follows Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor's arrest on Thursday over alleged misconduct in public office

The UK Government is to consider introducing legislation which would remove Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor from the line of succession, it is understood.

It follows the former prince’s arrest on Thursday over alleged misconduct in public office.

He was held in custody following accusations he shared sensitive information with paedophile financier Jeffrey Epstein during his time as the UK’s trade envoy.

He was later released from custody under investigation.

It is understood any change to the line of succession would follow after the police investigation has concluded.

It is further understood that changes to the line of succession would require consultation and agreement with other Realms.

Reuters

On Friday, members of the media continued to gather at the gates of Royal Lodge in Berkshire, where security staff were monitoring vehicles passing through.

Several unmarked police cars were spotted at the estate after Thames Valley Police officers carried out searches at addresses in Berkshire and Norfolk on Thursday morning.

The force had confirmed it had arrested a man in his 60s but was not naming him “as per national guidance”.

King Charles, Andrew’s brother, said he heard news of the arrest with “deepest concern”.

He said the authorities have the royal family’s “full and wholehearted support and co-operation”.

“Let me state clearly: the law must take its course,” the King said in a statement.

The Prince and Princess of Wales support the King’s statement, it is understood.

Former prime minister Gordon Brown, who wrote to police forces last week, has said he has handed further information to the authorities.

“I have submitted a five-page memorandum to the Metropolitan, Surrey, Sussex, Thames Valley and other relevant UK police constabularies,” Brown said.

“This memorandum provides new and additional information to that which I submitted last week to the Met, Essex and Thames Valley police forces where I expressed my concern that we secure justice for trafficked girls and women.”

STV News is now on WhatsApp

Get all the latest news from around the country

Follow STV News
Follow STV News on WhatsApp

Scan the QR code on your mobile device for all the latest news from around the country

WhatsApp channel QR Code
Last updated Feb 20th, 2026 at 18:29

Today's Top Stories

Popular Videos

Latest in UK & International

Trending Now