Virginia Giuffre: What is the truth after crash left her with 'days to live'?

Virginia Giuffre, who alleged the Duke of York sexually assaulted her aged 17, said she had "days to live" after she was injured in a crash.

Prince Andrew’s accuser Virginia Giuffre is facing court over allegations she breached a restraining order, just weeks before being involved in a crash she says left her with “days to live”.

The court case adds to the ongoing confusion since Giuffre posted on Instagram on Sunday that she was hospitalised following a collision in Australia on March 24, sharing a photo of her injuries.

Here are the latest updates on Giuffre’s story, which has caused a stir on social media.

Giuffre shares an Instagram post on Sunday, March 30

Giuffre shared a photograph of herself on social media, showing bruises, and claimed a school bus had collided with her car at 110km/h (68 mph).

She said she was suffering from kidney failure and was being transferred to a urology specialist.

“This year has been the worst start to a new year, but I won’t bore anyone with the details,” the 41-year-old said.

“I’ve gone into kidney renal failure, they’ve given me four days to live, transferring me to a specialist hospital in urology.”

Virginia Giuffre posted on Instagram on Sunday saying she has ‘four days to live’. / Credit: Instagram/@virginiarobertsrising11

She added she was “ready to go” but wanted to see her children one last time.

She ended the post by thanking her followers for “being the wonderful people of the world and for being a great part of my life”.

Australian police release a statement on Giuffre’s crash on Tuesday, March 31

In a surprising twist, Western Australia Police responded to the crash in a statement and offered a different account of events.

Police said they received a report of a “minor crash” between a school bus and a car in Neergabby, around 12 miles north of Perth, on March 24.

The bus driver reported the incident the following day, and despite Giuffre’s claims of serious injury, no injuries were reported.

The car sustained approximately $2000 worth of damage,” the police said.

A source with knowledge of the situation told ITV News affiliate CNN that Giuffre is at a hospital in Perth, but is not in a life-threatening condition.

Virginia Giuffre in 2019. / Credit: AP

Giuffre’s family issues a statement on Tuesday afternoon

Later that day, Giuffre’s family issued a statement, contradicting the police’s account.

They claimed officers did not attend the scene of the crash and that Virginia remained in a “serious condition”.

The statement also suggested that Giuffre’s Instagram post had been a mistake, and she had intended to share the information on her private Facebook page instead.

“Virginia thanks everyone for the outpouring of love and support. She is overwhelmed with gratitude. Today she remains in serious condition while receiving medical care,” the statement read.

“On March 24, in rural Western Australia, a school bus hit the car in which she was riding. The police were called but said that there was no one available to come to the scene. They asked if anyone was injured and suggested that if they were, they should make their way to the hospital.

“The school bus driver had a bus full of distraught children and left the scene to get them back, saying he would file a police report, which he did later. Virginia was banged up and bruised and returned home.

“Virginia’s condition worsened and she was admitted to the hospital. Concerning her Instagram post, Virginia thought that she had posted on her private Facebook page.

“Virginia and her family thank everyone for their concern.”

Revelations about breaking restraining order Wednesday, April 2

Giuffre has been charged with breaching a family violence restraining order in Ocean Reef, near Perth, on February 2, according to Western Australia (WA) Courts.

Her case was first heard in northern Perth’s Joondalup Magistrates’ Court on March 14, where she did not enter a plea. The case is scheduled to return to court on April 9.

Her family released another statement on Wednesday, saying “looks forward to defending herself”.

“Virginia continues to be hospitalised in serious condition,” it added.

Why was Giuffre living in Perth?

It is understood Giuffre was moved to Perth’s northern suburbs in 2020 and is reported to have separated from her husband.

Ms Giuffre reached an out-of-court settlement with the Duke of York over a civil sexual abuse claim. / Credit: PA

What was Giuffre’s accusation against Prince Andrew?

In 2022, Giuffre reached an out-of-court settlement with the Duke of York over a civil sexual abuse claim filed in the US.

She accused Prince Andrew of allegedly sexually assaulting her when she was 17 years old after being trafficked by paedophile Jeffrey Epstein.

Guiffre had claimed the abuse took place while she was travelling with Epstein, Andrew’s former friend.

The duke has strenuously denied these allegations and previously attempted to get the lawsuit dropped.

STV News is now on WhatsApp

Get all the latest news from around the country

Follow STV News
Follow STV News on WhatsApp

Scan the QR code on your mobile device for all the latest news from around the country

WhatsApp channel QR Code