The White House has defended the shootdowns of three unidentified objects in as many days even as it acknowledged that it had no indication they were intended for surveillance.
It comes after a high-altitude Chinese balloon that traversed American airspace was shot down earlier this month.
The three objects, including one shot down on Sunday over Lake Huron, were travelling at such a low altitude as to pose a risk to civilian air traffic, said White House national security spokesman John Kirby.
And though the Biden administration does not yet have evidence that they were equipped for spying purposes, or even belonged to China, officials also could not rule it out either, he said.
“These were decisions based purely and simply on what was in the best interests of the American people,” Kirby said.
Kirby spoke from the White House podium hours after China alleged that more than ten US high-altitude balloons have flown in its airspace during the past year without its permission.
American officials have vigorously denied the claim, with Kirby saying on Monday, “We are not flying surveillance balloons over China.”
Though the origins and purpose of the three objects most recently shot down are still unknown, their mere presence in American airspace ratcheted up concerns among American national security officials in light of a massive balloon that the US believes was geared explicitly for surveillance and that was shot down over the Carolina coast on February 4 by US fighter jets.
The Chinese allegation came after the US shot down a suspected Chinese spy balloon that had crossed from Alaska to South Carolina, sparking a new crisis in bilateral relations that have spiralled to their lowest level in decades.
Since then, fighter jets also shot down objects over Canada and Alaska, and another one over Lake Huron on Sunday.
STV News is now on WhatsApp
Get all the latest news from around the countryFollow STV News
Follow STV News on WhatsApp
Scan the QR code on your mobile device for all the latest news from around the country