Tributes have been paid to a woman after she died in a suspected crowd crush at a south London venue.
Rebecca Ikumelo, 33, was taken to hospital from the O2 Academy Brixton by ambulance after a large crowd tried to force their way into the venue.
Metropolitan police confirmed that she died at the hospital, and two other women – aged 21 and 23 – were in critical condition.
The family of Ms Ikumelo have paid tribute to the mother-of-two and hailed her “care, kindness and love”.
In a statement released through the Metropolitan Police, her family said: “Rebecca was a graduate of nursing. She was an adorable mother of two children who loved working with kids.
“She was well respected in the family for her care, kindness and love. Her parents call her Tosin (short for Oluwatosin) meaning ‘Lord is Worthy’.”
The incident occurred at a concert by Nigerian artist Asake on Thursday night.
Footage posted online showed large crowds outside the building on Thursday night, with many holding up mobile phones and filming the scene.
In a statement posted on Instagram, Asake said: “I am devastated by the news that Rebecca Ikumelo who was in a critical condition since Thursday has sadly passed away.
“My sincerest condolences to her loved ones at this time. Let us please keep her family in our prayers. I have spoken to them and will continue to do so.
“I am overwhelmed with grief and could never have imagined anything like this happening.
“My team and I are still awaiting the full debrief back from the Venue management and the Police to determine what exactly led to all the disruption caused and ultimately to Rebecca’s passing.
“If you have any relevant information relating to this please do reach out to the Metropolitan Police.”
In a statement outside Brixton police station on Friday afternoon, chief superintendent Colin Wingrove said an “urgent investigation” was under way.
He said one person had been arrested on suspicion of assaulting a police officer, and three people were in critical condition in hospital following the incident.
Ch Supt Wingrove added that an incident in which a member of public appeared to have been “pushed” by a police officer was under review by the force’s director of professional standards.