Toddler bitten and dragged into swimming pool by ten-foot python

The five-year-old was rescued by his 76-year-old grandfather after being bitten at his family home in Byron Bay, Australia.

Toddler bitten and dragged into swimming pool by ten-foot python in Australia parfyonov via iStock

A toddler was bitten and dragged into his family pool by a ten-foot snake in Australia.

According to Melbourne radio station 3AW, Beau Blake had been playing near the edge of the pool at his home in Byron Bay, New South Wales, when the python bit the youngster and coiled itself around his leg, pulling him into the water.

The five-year-old was rescued after his 76-year-old grandfather jumped in and grabbed the toddler, still entangled with the snake.

The boy’s father, Ben, then prised him free from the reptile’s deadly grip.

Ben told the radio station: “Beau was just walking around the edge of the pool, and I believe the python was sort of sitting there waiting for a victim to come along… and he was it.”

“I saw a big black shadow come out of the bush and before they hit the bottom, it was completely wrapped around his leg.

After freeing his son, Ben held on to the snake for around ten minutes, before releasing it back into the vegetation.

He added: “Once we cleaned up the blood and told him that he wasn’t going to die because it wasn’t a poisonous snake, he was pretty good actually.

“He’s an absolute trooper.

“He went back to the scene of the crime, the naughty thing. It is Australia. They are about.”

While pythons are not venomous, the five-year-old received treatment to prevent the bite becoming infected.