Sara Sharif’s stepmother describes little girl’s death as ‘an incident’

Sara Sharif's family fled the UK to Pakistan after the ten-year-old's body was found at the family home.

Sara Sharif’s stepmother describes little girl’s death as ‘an incident’ Surrey Police

The stepmother of ten-year-old Sara Sharif has spoken publicly for the first time since the little girl was found dead.

Footage was sent to broadcasters of Beinash Batool speaking alongside Sara’s father, Urfan Sharif.

The pair, along with Mr Sharif’s brother Faisal Malik, 28, fled the UK for Pakistan after Sara was found dead and alone at the family home in Woking, Surrey, on August 10.

A post-mortem examination found she had suffered “multiple and extensive injuries” over a “sustained and extended” period of time.

In a clip of the footage, Batool, 29, shows no emotion as she describes Sara’s death as “an incident” and says that she and Mr Sharif, 41, are willing to co-operate with UK authorities over the case.

She said: “Sara’s death was an incident. Our family in Pakistan are severely affected by all that is going on.”
Ms Batool denied reports that one of Mr Sharif’s brothers claimed Sara had fallen down the stairs and broken her neck.

She added: “All of our family members have gone into hiding as everyone is scared for their safety.

“The kids are unable to attend school as they’re afraid to leave the house.

“No-one is leaving the house, the groceries have run out and there is no food for the kids as the adults are unable to leave their homes out of fear of safety (sic).

“That is why we have gone into hiding. Lastly we are willing to co-operate with the UK authorities and fight our case in court.”

It is not clear under what conditions the footage was filmed and Ms Batool’s claims have not been verified.
Sharif and Batool left Britain with five children aged between one and 13, and Surrey Police want to question them over Sara’s death.

Their statement came after Sara’s mother Olga Sharif gave an interview to the Polish television programme Uwaga! in which she spoke of the harrowing experience of going to view her daughter’s body.

She said: “One of her cheeks was swollen and the other side was bruised.

“Even now, when I close my eyes I can see what my baby looked like.”

Ms Sharif separated from her husband in 2015 and Sara and her older brother had been living with her until 2019, when the family court ruled they should live with their father.

Ms Sharif still had equal rights to see the children and said while that was easy to maintain initially, it became increasingly harder over time.

Sara’s grandfather has told the BBC the girl’s death was an “accident” and three family members who left the UK for Pakistan will “ultimately” return to face police questioning.

Muhammad Sharif said he saw Sara’s father soon after he arrived in the city of Jhelum, in the South Asian country, and said his son had fled the UK out of “fear”.

Surrey Police are appealing for information to help them gain a picture of Sara’s life.

Surrey County Council said that the girl was known to the local authority.

Authorities in Pakistan are searching for the trio and lawyers in the UK have said the nation’s government is unlikely to block an extradition request in connection to the death.

While there is no formal extradition treaty between the UK and Pakistan, people have been returned from the Asian country before.

The full interview with Ms Sharif will air on the Polish TV programme at 7.55pm local time (6.55pm BST) on Wednesday.

STV News is now on WhatsApp

Get all the latest news from around the country

Follow STV News
Follow STV News on WhatsApp

Scan the QR code on your mobile device for all the latest news from around the country

WhatsApp channel QR Code
Posted in