The UK Government’s policy to send migrants to Rwanda has been described as “appalling” by the Prince of Wales, according to reports.
It was announced in April that the Home Office will remove people to Rwanda, with the first flight on Tuesday.
Campaigners last week lost in an attempt to block the Government, with lawyers for almost 100 migrants submitting legal challenges asking to stay in the UK.
The decision by the High Court which paves the way for the flight, with 31 migrants on board, to depart was welcomed by the Home Secretary Priti Patel.
However, Charles is said to have privately described the policy as “appalling”.
The Times newspaper said a source had heard Charles express opposition to the policy several times in private, and that he was “more than disappointed” by it.
Traditionally, royals do not become involved in political matters.
A Clarence House spokesman stated that policy matters are decisions for Government.
“We would not comment on supposed anonymous private conversations with the Prince of Wales, except to restate that he remains politically neutral. Matters of policy are decisions for Government,” they said.
The UK Government has insisted that the Rwanda agreement is “fully compliant” with all national and international law.
Campaigners have said they are “disappointed” and “deeply concerned” for the welfare of those due to be sent to Rwanda.
A UK Government spokesperson said: “Our world-leading partnership with Rwanda will see those making dangerous, unnecessary and illegal journeys to the UK relocated there to have their claims considered and rebuild their lives.
“There is no one single solution to the global migration crisis, but doing nothing is not an option and this partnership will help break the business model of criminal gangs and prevent loss of life.
“Rwanda is a fundamentally safe and secure country with a track record of supporting asylum seekers and we are confident the agreement is fully compliant with all national and international law.”