PC David Carrick has been sacked from the Metropolitan Police for gross misconduct.
Carrick, 48, who was suspended from the force and held in custody after he was arrested for rape in October 2021, did not attend the hearing in Earl’s Court, west London, which lasted an hour and 45 minutes.
The Met said his pay was stopped and an accelerated misconduct process was launched after he first entered guilty pleas to 43 charges in December.
Tuesday’s hearing was due to be held in private because Carrick still faced trial but was then opened to the media to watch on screens in a nearby building after he pleaded guilty to the remaining six counts at Southwark Crown Court on Monday.
Assistant Commissioner Louisa Rolfe said she was in no doubt Carrick’s actions amounted to gross misconduct and said he should be dismissed from the Met without notice.
She acknowledged the “courage and suffering” of Carrick’s victims, adding: “This is a sickening and horrific case with far-reaching consequences for policing. I truly hope to never see its like again.”
Carrick has now admitted 49 charges, including 24 counts of rape against 12 women over an 18-year period.
Rolfe assessed the harm caused by David Carrick’s misconduct as “critically high”.
She said the public reaction to his crimes shows how his conduct has “gravely undermined” confidence in the police.
“The public of Greater London expect police officers to uphold the law and protect women from violence. Pc Carrick did the opposite,” she said.
Rolfe said the case had caused public harm, particularly to women and girls who may be less likely to “come forward and report they have been the victims of criminal offences.”
More than 1,000 Metropolitan Police officers and staff previously accused of domestic violence and sexual offences are having the allegations reviewed in the wake of the case, according to the force.