OnlyFans has suspended its ban of “sexually explicit” images and videos from October 1, the online subscription service has announced.
The social media platform, used by sex workers as well as celebrities, musicians and comedians, allows creators to share pictures and videos with their subscribers.
Under guidelines announced last week, people were still able to post nude content on the site but it would have to be meet the company’s updated policies.
The company said in a statement: “Thank you to everyone for making your voices heard. We have secured assurances necessary to support our diverse creator community and have suspended the planned October 1 policy change. OnlyFans stands for inclusion and we will continue to provide a home for all creators.”
It comes after many of those who create sexually explicit content for the site moved to alternative platforms ahead of the policy changes.
Anisa T, a content creator from Glasgow, said: “We still have no idea if we are safe. I’m lucky that I was already on Onlyfans during the pandemic. I never went through that fear of not having money or not having a job.
“But it’s a wake-up call, I was devastated. It’s best to have different streams of income.”
The BBC reported that the proposed ban came after it approached the London-based company with examples of content in violation of its rules still being hosted and allegations that moderators were told to be more lenient on successful accounts.