Man shot dead by officers after opening fire near White House

The suspect was identified as 21-year-old Nasire Best, according to a law enforcement official.

Reporters at the scene of the shooting had to dive for cover, ITV News’ David Harper reports

A man who opened fire near a White House security checkpoint has been shot dead by officers, the US Secret Service said.

The man was near Pennsylvania Avenue when he “pulled a weapon from his bag” and opened fire shortly after 6pm US local time on Saturday, 11pm BST, the law enforcement agency said in a statement on X.

Officers returned fire, and the suspect was taken to the hospital, where he died.

The suspect was identified as 21-year-old Nasire Best, according to a law enforcement official.

Court records show Best was arrested in July 2025 after attempting to enter a White House checkpoint without authorisation, ignoring officers’ commands to stop and claiming he was Jesus Christ.

A court order was issued banning him from the area before trial, but a warrant was issued in August after he reportedly failed to comply.

Police and members of the Secret Service stand near a fire truck. / Credit: AP

This is the third time in the past month that shots have been fired near President Donald Trump, after incidents at the White House Correspondents’ Dinner in April and near the Washington Monument earlier in May.

A bystander was also struck on Saturday, though police are unclear whether they were hit by the suspect’s bullets or those fired by officers.

The Secret Service said none of its officers was injured and that Trump, who was at the White House at the time, was not “impacted”.

Trump originally planned to spend the weekend at his New Jersey golf club, but changed his plans on Friday and stayed at the White House.

FBI Director Kash Patel said on social media that agency personnel were on the scene and “we will update the public as we’re able.”

Yellow crime scene tape and dozens of orange evidence markers could be seen on the pavement just outside the White House complex, along with medical equipment, including what appeared to be surgical gloves and emergency medical kits.

STV News is now on WhatsApp

Get all the latest news from around the country

Follow STV News
Follow STV News on WhatsApp

Scan the QR code on your mobile device for all the latest news from around the country

WhatsApp channel QR Code
Posted in
    Last updated May 24th, 2026 at 14:46

    Today's Top Stories

    Popular Videos

    Latest in UK & International

    Trending Now