Israel resumes fighting in Gaza as temporary truce with Hamas ends

Israeli fighter jets hit Hamas targets in the Gaza Strip on Friday shortly after a weeklong truce expired, the military said, as the war resumed in full force.

Fourteen Palestinians have died since the ceasefire between Israel and Hamas ended on Friday morning, Good Morning Britain reports

  • A five-day ceasefire between Israel and Hamas has ended.
  • Hamas has freed a further eight hostages to Israel, following the announcement, including a 21-year-old woman who was previously used by the proscribed terror group in a hostage video.
  • More than 13,300 Palestinians have died since the start of the war, according to the Hamas-run Gaza Health Ministry. The figure includes 6,150 children and 4,000 women.
  • At least 1,200 people were killed in Israel during Hamas’ attack on October 7.

The Israeli Defense Force (IDF) has resumed striking Hamas targets in Gaza after the deadline for another ceasefire extension passed.

Israeli fighter jets hit southern Gaza on Friday, including the community of Abassan, located east of the town of Khan Younis, the Interior Ministry in the Hamas-run territory said.

Another strike hit a home northwest of Gaza City, they said, adding that 14 Palestinians have died since the ceasefire ended, they added.

Meanwhile, in Israel, sirens blared at three communal farms near Gaza were warned of incoming rocket fire, suggesting Hamas had also resumed its attacks.

The IDF’s announcement of the strikes came only 30 minutes after the cease-fire expired at 7am (0500 GMT) on Friday morning.

Palestinians visit their houses destroyed in the Israeli bombings in Al-Zahra during the temporary ceasefire. / Credit: AP

The ceasefire ends

It came as earlier in the day, Israel accused Hamas of having violated the terms of the cease-fire, including by firing rockets toward Israel from Gaza.

The IDF claimed that its missile defense system had detected and intercepted a rocket fired toward Israeli territory from Gaza. Hamas did not immediately responded to Israel’s claim. 

The halt in fighting began on November 24.

It initially lasted for four days, and then was extended for several days with the help of Qatar and fellow mediator Egypt.

Gal Tarshansky, who was released last night, sits with her father in an IDF helicopter en route to Israel, on Thursday, Novemeber 30. / Credit: GPO/ Associated Press

During the week-long truce, Hamas and other militants in Gaza released more than 100 hostages, most of them Israelis, in return for 240 Palestinians freed from prisons in Israel.

Virtually all of those freed were women and children, but the fact that few such hostages remained in Gaza complicated reaching a deal for a further extension.

Among the hostages released was a 21-year-old woman who previously appeared in a video released by Hamas in which she seemed injured.

Mia Schem, a training tattooist who has French-Israeli citizenship, was captured at the Nova music festival on October 7.

The 240 Palestinians released so far under the cease-fire were mostly teenagers accused of throwing stones and firebombs during confrontations with Israeli forces.

On Thursday, four people were killed and 16 more wounded after gunmen opened fire at a Jerusalem bus stop.

Police said two attackers began shooting at people waiting at the terminal, which sits along the main highway into the city from Tel Aviv, during rush hour.

Hamas have taken responsibility for the attack in a message posted to Telegram, AP reports.

Palestinians in Gaza have called for a permanent end to the war, saying the temporary truces don’t resolve the humanitarian catastrophe in the territory.

Over 1.8 million people have fled their homes, with more than 1 million sheltering in UN schools and struggling to find basic items including cooking gas and flour.

Most of Gaza’s population is now crammed into the south with no exit, raising questions over how an Israeli offensive there can avoid heavy civilian casualties.

Israel has dropped leaflets urging Gaza residents to leave parts of southern Gaza, signaling a widening offensive.

This week, the UN Secretary-General António Guterres said the world must not look away from the suffering of civilians in Gaza, calling for “a true humanitarian ceasefire” that leads to a lasting two-state solution.

STV News is now on WhatsApp

Get all the latest news from around the country

Follow STV News
Follow STV News on WhatsApp

Scan the QR code on your mobile device for all the latest news from around the country

WhatsApp channel QR Code
Posted in