The former home of a man serving a life sentence for killing and eating an acquaintance in a case that appalled Germany two decades ago burned down early on Monday, police said.
The cause of the overnight blaze in the small central town of Rotenburg an der Fulda was not immediately clear, but police said they are not ruling out arson, German news agency dpa reported.
Mayor Christian Grunwald said he hoped the fire would put an end to frequent trips to the site by people visiting out of curiosity and for other reasons.
“The ruin must be removed permanently; it must not become a pilgrimage site,” he said.
The half-timbered house belonged to Armin Meiwes, who was convicted of murder and disturbing the peace of the dead, and was the scene of the crime. It had been empty for years.
Meiwes was arrested in December 2002 over the death the previous year of Bernd Juergen Brandes.
He claimed the victim had answered his internet post seeking a young man for “slaughter and consumption” and that Mr Brandes wanted to be stabbed to death after drinking a bottle of cold medicine to lose consciousness.
Meiwes captured the killing on video.
In 2004, Meiwes was convicted of manslaughter and sentenced to eight-and-a-half years in prison, but prosecutors appealed.
Federal judges overturned that ruling and ordered a retrial, arguing that the lower court, in rejecting murder charges, failed to give sufficient consideration to the sexual motive behind the killing.
Meiwes was convicted of murder and given a life sentence at a retrial in 2006.
STV News is now on WhatsApp
Get all the latest news from around the countryFollow STV News
Follow STV News on WhatsApp
Scan the QR code on your mobile device for all the latest news from around the country