Harry to learn legal bill after failed case against Daily Mail publisher

It comes as questions remain over whether taxpayers will fund security for the Duke and Duchess of Sussex when they return to the UK later this month.

Prince Harry is due to learn the cost of his failed legal claims against the publisher of the Daily Mail on Friday, amid ongoing questions over how security arrangements for the Duke and Duchess of Sussex will be funded when they return to the UK.

Harry and Meghan’s plan to move back to the UK was revealed late on Wednesday, with the King only finding out three days earlier.

They will live in a non-royal residence outside of London when they make the move from the United States later this month, having already enrolled Prince Archie and Princess Lilibet in British schools.

Decisions about whether taxpayers will foot the bill for their security remain unanswered, as does the exact reason for their decision to relocate, with the Sussexes yet to comment publicly.

There is a question mark over who will pay for the couple’s security / Credit: Jonathan Brady/PA

Prime Minister Andy Burnham would not be drawn on their security arrangements in the UK, saying the funding for it was a “private matter”.

Harry has faced a protracted legal battle with the Home Office over the security arrangements for him and his family while in the UK, after his level of protection changed when he stepped down as a working royal in 2020.

At the end of June, he was still waiting for a review by the Risk Management Board, part of the process by which the Executive Committee for the Protection of Royalty and Public Figures (Ravec) rules on his security requirements – and he and his security detail were working to try to ensure his July visit could take place safely.

Individual decisions on protective security for key public figures, including members of the royal family, are made by Ravec, which includes the Home Office, Metropolitan Police and Royal Household, which advises an independent chairperson.

Harry and six other household names are set to find out Friday how many millions of pounds they will have to pay to the Daily Mail’s publisher, Associated Newspapers Ltd, in legal costs.

The high-profile figures, including Baroness Doreen Lawrence and Sir Elton John, sued Associated Newspapers Limited (ANL) over allegations of unlawful information-gathering, but Mr Justice Nicklin dismissed all the cases in a judgment last month.

Mr Justice Nicklin is to give his decision on the size of an initial payment the group will make to ANL, with the court previously being told the total costs were more than £34 million.

Harry and Meghan’s decision to relocate to the UK was only relayed to the King three days before the bombshell news went public on Wednesday night.

ITV News Royal Editor Chris Ship said the couple’s decision to move their family to the UK is largely based on their desire to give their children a better understanding of the country and to create bonds with the country in which their grandfather is the Monarch.

The Sussexes decamped to California more than six years ago amid the turbulent Megxit crisis, which was followed by ongoing family fallouts and a barrage of accusations fired at the Prince and Princess of Wales and the King and Queen Camilla.

Suggestions as to where Harry and Meghan will live include rural locations in the Cotswolds in Oxfordshire or Gloucestershire.

The King is said to be glad to be able to spend more time with the Sussex family, but remains adamant they will not be working royals, and there is no half-in, half-out option.

Archie and Lili are expected to start at their new schools in early September.

It’s understood there will be no photographs of the children when they start school and on their birthdays, as for working royals.

British media organisations have been instructed by the press regulator not to reveal the location of their new family home nor the children’s school.

The Prince and Princess of Wales have not reacted publicly to the news. William – the future king – is estranged from his brother following Harry’s controversial claims about the royal family in the wake of Megxit.

The Sussexes are keeping their homes in Montecito, California, and Portugal, while the duchess will continue to run her lifestyle brand, As Ever, from their new base.

A new YouGov poll, carried out the day after the surprise U-turn, showed 33% believe the King’s youngest son and the former Suits star should not come back, while 45% do not know.

Fewer than a quarter (21%) were in favour of the Sussexes relocating from the US.

STV News is now on WhatsApp

Get all the latest news from around the country

Follow STV News
Follow STV News on WhatsApp

Scan the QR code on your mobile device for all the latest news from around the country

WhatsApp channel QR Code
Posted in
Last updated Aug 21st, 2026 at 07:52

Today's Top Stories

Popular Videos

Latest in UK & International

Trending Now