Former Newcastle United footballer Christian Atsu has been found dead under the rubble of the building where he lived in Turkey, his agent has said.
The Ghanaian player had been misidentified and falsely reported as hospitalised last week.
Agent Nana Sechere tweeted: “It is with the heaviest of hearts that I have to announce to all well wishers that sadly Christian Atsu’s body was recovered this morning My deepest condolences go to his family and loved ones.
“I would like to take this opportunity to thank everyone for their prayers and support.
“I ask that whilst we make the necessary arrangements, that everyone would please respect the privacy of the family during this very difficult time.”
The 31-year-old had been playing football with Turkish Super Lig side Hatayspor.
After a 7.8 magnitude earthquake hit south-eastern Turkey and northern Syria during the early hours of February 6, followed by a second of 7.5, Atsu was reported missing.
At least 41,000 people have been killed, and an estimated 4.7 million people in rural areas have been left without food, according to the UN.
James Denselow, head of conflict and humanitarian policy at Save the Children UK, said: “Survivors are now facing a second disaster, left without adequate shelter, food, safe drinking water or sanitation facilities such as toilets and clean water in bitterly cold conditions.”
STV News is now on WhatsApp
Get all the latest news from around the countryFollow STV News
Follow STV News on WhatsApp
Scan the QR code on your mobile device for all the latest news from around the country