A corporate manslaughter investigation has begun following nurse Lucy Letby’s murder convictions.
Letby, 33, was sentenced to a whole life order after she was convicted of the murders of seven babies and the attempted murders of six others at the Countess of Chester Hospital’s neonatal unit in 2015 and 2016.
On Wednesday, Cheshire Constabulary said the force is carrying out an investigation into corporate manslaughter at the hospital.
Detective Superintendent Simon Blackwell said: “The investigation will focus on the indictment period of the charges for Lucy Letby, from June 2015 to June 2016, and consider areas including senior leadership and decision making to determine whether any criminality has taken place.
“At this stage we are not investigating any individuals in relation to gross negligence manslaughter.
“The investigation is in the very early stages and we are unable to go into any further details or answer specific questions at this time.
“We recognise that this investigation will have a significant impact on a number of different stakeholders including the families in this case and we are continuing to work alongside and support them during this process.
“You will be notified of any further updates in due course.”
The Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) previously said it wanted to pursue a retrial on one of Letby’s outstanding charges – that she attempted to murder a baby girl, known as Child K, in February 2016.
A provisional trial date of June 10 2024 at the same court has been fixed.
The jury of seven women and four men in Letby’s ten-month trial could not reach verdicts on claims she attempted to murder three baby girls, Child H, Child J and Child K.
Verdicts were also not reached on two counts of attempted murder against Child N, a baby boy, and an allegation she tried to murder another male infant, Child Q.
Letby was found guilty of one count of attempted murder against Child N.
The defendant, from Hereford, denied all the offences and formally lodged an appeal against her convictions at the Court of Appeal last month.
A court order prohibits reporting of the identities of the surviving and dead children who were the subject of the allegations.
STV News is now on WhatsApp
Get all the latest news from around the countryFollow STV News
Follow STV News on WhatsApp
Scan the QR code on your mobile device for all the latest news from around the country