Man left blind in one eye in park attack after asking women if they were ok

Sleiman Bubakar and Asad Nawaz punched, kicked and stamped upon the 56-year-old after he made a remark Bubakar took offence to.

Victim left blind in one eye following attack by two men in Govanhill Park after asking women if they were ok Google Maps

Two men left a 56-year-old blind in one eye after a horror attack in a park.

Sleiman Bubakar and Asad Nawaz – both aged 22 – pounced on the man in an assault captured on graphic CCTV footage.

The victim was repeatedly punched, kicked and stamped upon before the victim was left lying in a pool of blood.

Bubakar had been freed on bail just 24 hours earlier facing a separate assault charge.

The attackers appeared in the dock at the High Court in Glasgow on Wednesday.

Both pleaded guilty to assaulting the man to his severe injury, permanent disfigurement and impairment as well as to the danger of his life following the incident at the city’s Govanhill Park on March 10 2023.

They were remanded in custody pending sentencing next month.

The victim had been out that evening and had cut through the park on his way home.

He spotted Libyan-born Bubakar sitting on a bench with three young women.

He asked if the females were “okay”. The man was said to have then made a remark which Bubakar “took offence to”.

Prosecutor Bill McVicar said: “Bubakar punched out at him and Nawaz ran over.

“They knocked [the victim] to the ground. He was punched, kicked and stamped on to his head and body.

“Two of the young women and another man attempted to intervene and stop the attack.

“However, Bubakar and Nawaz continued the assault before stopping and walking away.”

The man was left stricken on the ground before a witness dialled 999 and went to help the victim.

He was rushed to hospital with a number of serious injuries.

These included to his eye as well as bones at his nose “broken into many pieces”.

Mr McVicar said: “He has no vision in his right eye as a consequence of the assault.”

Bubakar was traced as one of the assailants and was arrested on April 6 2023 at his home in the city’s Pollokshields.

Nawaz was held the next day also at his home in the same area of Glasgow.

He put on a pair of trainers before going to the police station.

The right shoe was found to have blood matching the victim.

Bubakar had been freed on bail from Glasgow Sheriff Court on March 9 2023.

This related to an assault charge, which saw him jailed for a month in February this year.

He was previously locked up for 18 months for violence in 2021. He appeared from custody for this latest case.

His lawyer Rhonda Anderson called the attack on the victim “atrocious with horrific consequences”.

Paul Mullen, defending Nawaz, had asked for him to remain on bail stating he had been subject to a curfew that he had not breached.

But, judge Lady Drummond told the pair they were both being remanded as sentencing was adjourned for reports until July 24 in Dundee.

STV News is now on WhatsApp

Get all the latest news from around the country

Follow STV News
Follow STV News on WhatsApp

Scan the QR code on your mobile device for all the latest news from around the country

WhatsApp channel QR Code
Posted in