Unconscious Celtic fan punched paramedic during treble celebrations

Anthony Dearie claimed he was startled when a light was shone in his eyes.

Unconscious Celtic fan punched paramedic during treble celebrations SNS Group

A man punched a first aider trying to help him at the Celtic Park treble celebrations.

Anthony Dearie, 28, attacked the paramedic outside the stadium on June 3, 2023.

The medic had attended to Dearie, of the city’s Kelvinbridge, who was lying on the ground unconscious.

He shone a torch into Dearie’s eye before being punched once to the jaw.

Dearie pled guilty at Glasgow Sheriff Court to assaulting the first aider to his injury.

Thousands of Celtic fans had gathered outside the stadium that night to welcome the team back from Hampden Park.

Ange Postecoglou’s side had earlier beaten Inverness Caledonian Thistle in the Scottish Cup to seal a historic eighth treble.

The court heard that Dearie was passed out at around 10.30pm at the stadium.

The paramedic attended to check up on Dearie.

Prosecutor Josh Dowie said: “He shone a torch in his eye.

“As he did so, Dearie began to punch [the first aider] making contact with his right jaw.

“This left redness and soreness.”

Police officers were informed about the incident and arrested Dearie.

He was unable to be cautioned due to his aggressive behaviour and intoxication.

Michael McKeown, defending, told the court that his client acted “instinctively”.

The lawyer added: “He didn’t seem to view that this was a first aider trying to help him.

“It was, to a large extent, reactive.”

Sheriff Allan McKay told Dearie that he considered sentencing him to nine months behind bars.

He said: “After reading your background report and putting this matter into some form of context I am prepared to offer you an alternative to custody.”

Dearie, who was in court with crutches due to a foot injury at work, was put under supervision for one year.

He was also ordered to do 120 hours of unpaid work and ordered to wear a tag for eight months keeping him indoors between 9pm and 6am.

The Crown’s motion for a football banning order was refused.

STV News is now on WhatsApp

Get all the latest news from around the country

Follow STV News
Follow STV News on WhatsApp

Scan the QR code on your mobile device for all the latest news from around the country

WhatsApp channel QR Code
Posted in