Man cut off part of friend's ear and scratched name into victim's chest

Thomas Fullerton, 29, turned on Liam Day leaving him in a pool of blood at his home in Drumchapel, Glasgow.

Thomas Fullerton jailed after cutting off part of friend’s ear and scratching name into his chest in Glasgow Google Maps

A man who cut off part of his friend’s ear and scratched his name into the victim’s chest has been jailed for seven and a half years.

Thomas Fullerton, 29, turned on Liam Day leaving him in a pool of blood at his home in Drumchapel, Glasgow last April 30.

After police were alerted by worried neighbours, Fullerton asked officers: “Is he dead? At least tell me if he is dead.”

Mr Day survived, but remains badly affected by his ordeal.

On Wednesday, Fullerton returned to the High Court in Glasgow having pled guilty in March to attempted murder.

Lord Matthews said the jail-term would have been ten years, but for the guilty plea.

The judge told Fullerton: “It is clear that, whatever precipitated it, the violence was out of all proportion from what had gone before.”

The victim had returned to his flat that morning with Fullerton and 29-year-old Jordan Clark.

Other residents became aware of a violent disturbance at the property.

Prosecutor Greg Farrell said: “They heard shouting and screaming. 

“Items were being thrown to such an extent that their own flat shook.

“They heard further shouting then someone screaming as if in pain.”

Police were called and when officers arrived, they discovered Mr Day lying unconscious.

He was initially found to have wounds to his head, neck, chest and back.

Mr Farrell said: “He also had an injury to his left ear with a severed piece lying on the hallway floor near to a pair of blood-stained scissors.”

A bloodied knife and broken vodka bottle were discovered in a laundry basket.

The court heard Fullerton had used these weapons to repeatedly strike Mr Day during the sustained attack.

Fullerton stated at the scene: “He is dead, isn’t he? He has been stabbed in the neck.”

The victim was described as “critically unwell” and was initially treated at the scene for an hour by medics to stabilise his condition before going to hospital.

Mr Farrell listed Mr Day’s many injuries which included a bleed on the brain, fractures to the jaw, nose and ribs as well as heavy bruising and several wounds.

The prosecutor: “He also had multiple abrasions to the skin of his chest in the shape of the letters ‘TAM’.

“He has lost part of his ear and has permanent scarring.

“He advises that he has been diagnosed with PTSD and suffers from fear and anxiety of going anywhere.”

Mr Day – who had no memory of the attack – also needed a plate and screws put in his jaw to repair the damage.

The court heard Fullerton, also of Drumchapel, had been affected by taking Valium earlier that day.

Tony Graham KC, defending, said: “Offending took place of which he has little or no recollection.

“It is in flashback terms. It had been a good natured and convivial gathering, which descended into violence.

“He is someone who is capable of contributing to society.”

STV News is now on WhatsApp

Get all the latest news from around the country

Follow STV News
Follow STV News on WhatsApp

Scan the QR code on your mobile device for all the latest news from around the country

WhatsApp channel QR Code