Two teenagers have admitted to a brutal murder bid on a 15-year-old boy.
The pair – aged 16 and 15 at the time – carried out the horror blade attack in Thornliebank, East Renfrewshire on February 28, 2021.
Medics initially feared the victim would not survive after he was rushed to hospital.
One of the attackers was later found sobbing down the phone confessing to police what he had done.
The duo pled guilty to an attempted murder charge at the High Court in Glasgow.
They had been on bail, but were remanded by judge Lord Young pending sentencing later this month.
None of the boys involved can be identified due to their ages.
The murder bid occurred in Thornliebank Road, Thornliebank.
The pair had been drinking that night and left the 16-year-old’s home around 10pm.
They knew their victim and had been in contact earlier.
All three were later seen in the area of Thornliebank Road.
Prosecutor Blair Speed said a taxi driver went on to spot two males running in the direction of where the victim was.
One was seen putting what appeared to be a sword down the front of his trousers.
He alerted police before the blood-soaked boy was found lying at a bus stop close to Eastwood Cemetery.
After the crime, the then 15-year-old attacker was described as distressed stating to a witness: “It was me who started it.”
His fellow attacker was later found by relatives and claimed he was “sorry”.
Mr Speed: “He made a 999 call and made special knowledge admissions about the attack, the location and time.
“He told the operator: ‘You need to come get me as I’m guilty’.
“Police attended a short time later and found him still sobbing on the phone.”
The teenager admitted to the officers he had “stabbed someone”.
He also asked: “How long will I get? I just want to know he will be alright.”
The weapon used in the attack was found to be an eight-inch knife, which police seized.
The court heard medics initially had “extreme concern” for the victim when he arrived at hospital.
He needed emergency surgery for life-threatening injuries to his chest and abdomen.
The boy suffered ten wounds including five to his left arm.
The victim fortunately survived, but the hearing was told without surgery at the time, he would have died.
The court was told the attackers – both now aged 17 – are first offenders, but both subject to compulsory supervision orders.
Sentencing was adjourned for reports.
STV News is now on WhatsApp
Get all the latest news from around the countryFollow STV News
Follow STV News on WhatsApp
Scan the QR code on your mobile device for all the latest news from around the country