Teenager smiles after admitting knife attack which nearly killed boy

Kyle Moffat, 18, was on bail for two other knife attacks when he stabbed the 17-year-old on Buchanan Street.

Teenager Kyle Moffat smiles after admitting knife attack which nearly killed boy in Glasgow SNS Group

A teenager tried to kill a boy in Glasgow – while on bail for two other knife attacks.

Kyle Moffat stabbed his 17-year-old victim in broad daylight outside a shop on Buchanan Street last December.

The 18-year-old struck having earlier knifed a young man in the city’s Gorbals and then later slashed a jogger in Glasgow Green.

He is now behind bars after he admitted to the three attacks on Thursday.

The murder bid happened at around 2.30pm on December 4, after Moffat barged into his victim in the street. The pair then confronted each other.

Prosecutor Mark Mohammed told the High Court in Glasgow: “During a fight, Moffat stabbed [the boy] in the chest with a large kitchen knife.”

The thug fled as the victim pleaded with a passer-by to get him an ambulance.

The boy suffered a collapsed lung described as “potentially life-threatening”.

The court heard he fortunately survived, but is scarred for life.

Moffat was caught that day having been spotted running near to the city’s Queen Street. He still had the weapon used to attack the boy.

Moffat was only free having been bailed twice by a sheriff.

On June 18, 2022, he slashed Kieran McHugh behind the ear in Ballater Street in the Gorbals.

The bleeding victim had to go to a nearby house for help. He ended up needing staples for the wound.

Moffat was caught and initially appeared in the dock on June 27 before being granted bail.

But, he then flouted that by attacking apparent stranger Paul Kilby, who was out running in Glasgow Green last October 31.

Moffat was part of a young gang in the park. He barged into the man before striking him on the hand with a blade.

Two women then helped the injured jogger. This victim later needed surgery to repair damage to his hand.

The court heard it was Moffat’s girlfriend who told a friend working at a local restaurant what happened.

Mr Mohammed said: “She said Moffat had just stabbed a jogger in Glasgow Green and showed her a bloodstained knife before leaving.

“The friend told her manager and the police were contacted.”

Moffat was arrested again and freed once more this time on November 14.

On Thursday, he pleaded guilty to attempting to murder the 17-year-old boy.

Moffat further admitted assaulting the two other victims to their severe injury and permanent disfigurement.

Lord Armstrong remanded him in custody as sentencing was deferred for reports until next month.

Moffat smiled towards a small group of people in court as he was taken handcuffed to the cells.

STV News is now on WhatsApp

Get all the latest news from around the country

Follow STV News
Follow STV News on WhatsApp

Scan the QR code on your mobile device for all the latest news from around the country

WhatsApp channel QR Code
Posted in