The dad of murdered teenager Kayden Moy has questioned why two of his son’s killers were not closely monitored while under the supervision of social services.
Jay Stewart, Cole Turley, and a 15-year-old boy who can’t be named were found guilty of murdering the 16-year-old at Irvine Beach in May last year.
The three teens, members of the Murray Boys gang, were given life sentences following a trial at the High Court in Glasgow.
Since being convicted, Stewart has allegedly posted a video online from HMP Polmont boasting about stabbing Kayden, while Turley has lodged an appeal against his life sentence.
It has now emerged that two of the three boys jailed for the fatal attack were under social care supervision.
‘Serious questions’
All three teenagers were under social work supervision, and two had Compulsory Supervision Orders – legal orders made by a Children’s Hearing or a sheriff in Scotland.
It requires a child or young person to follow specific rules and forces the local authority to provide ongoing support, care, and social work supervision.
Stewart was subject to a community payback order at the time for possession of a machete, which was imposed four days before the murder. He also had a previous conviction for a breach of the peace with a knife.
Paul Moy, Kayden’s dad, has questioned why the teenagers were not closely monitored by South Lanarkshire Council.
Police ScotlandHe said: “I am calling on South Lanarkshire Council and Social Work to answer serious questions about the circumstances surrounding the tragic murder of my son, Kayden.
“All three boys who have now been convicted of Kayden’s murder were, as I understand it, under social work supervision at the time.
“Yet they were still able to remain in the community while continuing to offend and, according to the circumstances surrounding this case, carry knives.
“Why were they allowed to continue walking the streets?”
Moy, from East Kilbride, has since met with First Minister John Swinney to highlight his concerns.
STV NewsThe father of the murdered teen went on to raise questions about what assessments were carried out, what warnings and interventions were received, and why they were not removed from the community.
“My son should still be alive”, he added.
“As a family, we are left having to live with the devastating consequences of what happened to Kayden. We deserve answers about whether opportunities were missed to protect him and others.
“I am not asking for excuses. I am demanding accountability, transparency and answers.
“Kayden’s life mattered. His family matters. And other families deserve to know that young people who present a serious risk are being properly managed and that every possible step is being taken to prevent another tragedy.
“South Lanarkshire Council and the relevant social work services need to answer these questions.
“We will not simply be expected to accept what happened and stay silent.”
South Lanarkshire Council said that social work does not have the power to remove people from the community, but their “profound sympathies” go out to Kayden’s family.
A council spokesman said: “This has been a tragic event, and our profound sympathies continue to go out to Kayden’s loved ones.”
The High Court heard how Stewart and the 15-year-old, while acting with Turley, pursued Kayden and caused him to fall to the ground during the incident on May 17 last year.
Turley fatally stabbed Kayden amid a dispute between rival gangs from East Kilbride, Lanarkshire.
The three teens, members of the Murray Boys gang, fled the busy beach. They went on to create a rap song mocking Kayden.
Kayden was an amateur footballer who played for Busby AFC and was part of the rival Himshie gang.
Turley also acted out the vicious murder on the couch of a friend whose flat was used as a hideout.
The court heard that Stewart and the other teenager had previous ill will and malice towards him.
Stewart and the 15-year-old had lodged a special defence of incrimination against Turley.
But the jury returned a unanimous verdict of murder for Stewart, and a majority verdict of murder for the 15-year-old at the High Court in Glasgow.
Follow STV News on WhatsApp
Scan the QR code on your mobile device for all the latest news from around the country

Police Scotland



















