Takeaway closed after oven blaze sends shop up in flames

Emergency services were alerted to the fire at Garngad Takeaway in Glasgow on Saturday afternoon.

Glasgow: The takeaway shop went up in flames. Picture by Piers Doughty-Brown
Glasgow: The takeaway shop went up in flames. Picture by Piers Doughty-Brown

A Glasgow takeaway has been forced to close after an oven fire sent the shop up in flames.

Emergency services were alerted to the blaze at Garngad Takeaway shortly after 2.30pm on Saturday.

Fire crews have extinguished the blaze, but remain at the scene on Royston Road.

No one was injured.

The company announced on Facebook that the shop will remain closed for at least the remainder of the week.

A spokesperson posted: “We are sorry to announce that Garngad will be closed for the remainder of this week and possibly longer, due to a fire that occurred in the shop earlier this afternoon.

All staff and those that were in the shop are safe and accounted for.

We apologise to our customers for this inconvenience and hope to open again very very soon. Stay safe.”

To all our customers:We are sorry to announce that Garngad will be closed for the remainder of this week and possibly…

Posted by Garngad Takeaway on Saturday, 21 March 2020

A Scottish Fire and Rescue Service spokeswoman said: “Crews are still in attendance.

“Two appliances are at the scene.

“We got the call at 2.38pm.

“It looks like it was an oven on fire.

“It’s now been extinguished.”

You're up to date

You've read today's top stories. Where would you like to go next?