Speeding motorist who killed taxi driver in head-on crash jailed

Scott Gilligan also had no insurance when he got behind the wheel of a Vauxhall Insignia on June 14 2021.

Speeding motorist Scott Gilligan killed taxi driver in head-on crash in Paisley, Renfrewshire Getty Images

A speeding motorist who killed a taxi driver in a head-on crash has been jailed for seven and a half years.

Scott Gilligan also had no insurance when he got behind the wheel of a Vauxhall Insignia to collect a prescription at a chemist on June 14 2021.

The 35 year-old, of Paisley, Renfrewshire, went onto the wrong of the road at a bend before hitting a Skoda Octavia driven by Edward Cullen.

This also resulted in a woman – who had been out on her daily walk – being flung into a hedge.

Mr Cullen – known as Eddie – tragically passed away in hospital three months after the collision on the A736 Glasgow Road, near Barrhead in Renfrewshire.

The much-loved 55-year-old had only recently returned to his private hire taxi job having survived a heart attack.

The woman was also left badly hurt after being struck.

Gilligan was sentenced at the High Court in Glasgow on Tuesday.

He had pleaded guilty last month to causing death and serious injury by dangerous driving.

Lady Stacey told him he had been witnessed driving “at speed, aggressively and erratically” that day.

The judge added: “Mr Cullen lost his life – there is nothing I can say or do which will take away the grief his family has felt and will continue to feel.”

Lady Stacey added the female victim has also “been left feeling not the woman she once was”.

Gilligan – who already had previous road traffic convictions – was banned from driving for a total of nine years and nine months.

Prosecutor Margaret Barron told the earlier hearing: “Witnesses behind Mr Cullen’s car saw Gilligan’s vehicle enter their lane at a bend on the road.

“He drove at speed, before colliding head on with Mr Cullen’s vehicle.

“The collision caused Mr Cullen’s vehicle to strike [the woman].

“She was propelled over or through a hedge into the adjacent field out of view of the road.

“She cannot recall being struck but rather suddenly finding herself looking up at the sky from an adjacent bit of grass land.”

The woman tried to call her son, but could not find her phone.

Mercy crews arrived and it was Mr Cullen, who, despite being trapped in his car, alerted them that she was lying stricken in a field.

Both the victims were rescued and rushed to hospital.

Mr Cullen was found to have suffered “multiple complex chest injuries”.

He was initially in intensive care before receiving physiotherapy and rehabilitation.

But, the court heard he “remained weak” and sadly passed away on September 10 2021.

The previous heart issue may have “potentially contributed” to the death.

Ms Barron said Mr Cullen’s wife Margaret was left “devastated”.

The advocate depute said: “She has been unable to socialise and feels like a recluse.

“She stated: ‘Eddie was my future and I cannot see a future now. He (Gilligan) has taken all my future memories and happiness away. I will never be the same person’.”

The woman suffered fractures, a collapsed lung as well as spleen and kidney injuries, which needed “significant treatment”.

The grandmother – who had good health and an active social life – still remains badly affected by her ordeal.

The court was told Gilligan was found to have been driving at 69mph in a 40mph zone that day and had been seen trying to overtake a small van before the fatal crash.

He also needed hospital treatment following the incident.

STV News is now on WhatsApp

Get all the latest news from around the country

Follow STV News
Follow STV News on WhatsApp

Scan the QR code on your mobile device for all the latest news from around the country

WhatsApp channel QR Code
Posted in