Spare coronavirus vaccines were snapped up by eager Glaswegians at The Hydro on Monday.
In anticipation of unused doses, NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde (NHSGGC) issued a “one-off call” to locals to take up the offer of a vaccine to minimise any wastage.
Crowds of young people accepted the invitation and quickly queued up outside the venue, which took over from the NHS Louisa Jordan last month as a vaccination centre.
The health board said the response was “overwhelming” and all doses have been used.
The public are now being asked not to attend at The Hydro for a vaccine unless they have a scheduled appointment.
An NHSGGC spokesperson said: “We anticipated today that we would have unused vaccine and appealed to people living locally to come forward for a vaccine at The Hydro to minimise vaccine wastage.
“We would like to thank everyone who responded to our one-off call.
“The response has been overwhelming and we can confirm all projected spare doses have been used.
“As such, we’d ask the public not to show up to The Hydro for a vaccine unless they have a scheduled appointment.”
The number of Covid infections is continuing to rise in Glasgow, with weekly case rates now higher than 100 per 100,000 people.
Latest Public Health Scotland figures for May 14 show the city rate is 100.3, with indications it may rise further.
We earlier revealed that Covid vaccination appointments are now being made available to those aged 18-39 in the worst affected areas of the city.
NHSGGC said the appointments will begin next week and is encouraging locals who are eligible for the vaccine to book in.
The health board is also urging people in the city to visit their local asymptomatic testing centre and take a Covid test.
The move comes after Glasgow and Moray were ordered to remain under level three restrictions despite the rest of mainland Scotland entering level two of the five-tier system.
First Minister Nicola Sturgeon said there was evidence that the outbreak in Glasgow was being driven by the Indian B.1.617.2 variant, adding that the situation in Scotland’s largest city is causing even more concern than the recent surge in cases in Moray.
A recent spike in East Renfrewshire is also being monitored.
The region has a rate of 86.9 per 100,000, which is higher than Glasgow’s when it was announced on Friday the city would be kept in level three restrictions.
Speaking to STV News, deputy first minister John Swinney said that case numbers will be reviewed on a daily basis in evaluating whether further action needs to be taken.