A secondary school had to be evacuated after a janitor noticed a “strong smell of ammonia”.
All staff and pupils at Lenzie Academy, East Dunbartonshire, had to leave the building on Monday morning while the Scottish Fire and Rescue Service investigated the scene.
The smell had not activated any alarms and was described as not being of natural gas.
Four appliances and specialist resources attended and a section of the school was isolated.
The Scottish Fire and Rescue Service said no casualties had been reported as they investigated the source.
Ann Davie, depute chief executive of East Dunbartonshire Council, said: “On arrival this morning, a member of janitorial staff noticed a smell coming from an isolated part of the school. The smell was not of natural gas and no alarms were activated.
“As a precaution, pupils and staff were not allowed into the building until the situation was assessed by the Scottish Fire and Rescue Service.
“Pupils and staff are now back in the school and the affected area has been isolated and is being investigated.”
A Scottish Fire and Rescue Service spokesperson said: “We were alerted at 8.20am on Monday, October 25, to reports of a strong smell of ammonia at Lenzie Academy, Lenzie.
“Operations control mobilised four appliances and other specialist resources to the scene and investigations are currently taking place.
“Pupils and staff and been safely evacuated and no casualties have been reported.”