School safety certificate missing amid carbon monoxide leak

Balmuildy Primary School was evacuated last week and closed for several days.

School safety certificate missing amid carbon monoxide leak Google 2020

A council has admitted being unable to find a school’s gas safety certificate after children had to be evacuated over a carbon monoxide leak.

Emergency services were alerted to the hazard at Balmuildy Primary School in Bishopbriggs last Thursday.

East Dunbartonshire Council has now reported itself to the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) after being unable to locate the paperwork for an inspection that took place in May 2019.

Thomas Glen, depute chief executive for place, neighbourhood and corporate assets, said: “The council’s gas safety inspections are carried out by independent third party contractors.

“The council is currently liaising with the relevant contractor with a view to securing a copy.

“However, as a result of being unable to locate a copy internally, further investigations are ongoing and the council has today made contact with the Health and Safety Executive given the seriousness of this matter.”

The school remained closed while an investigation into leak was carried out.

It was deemed safe and reopened on Tuesday, however several parents have voiced concerns that their children continue to experience dizziness, nausea and vomiting.

One mum told STV News she collected her son “immediately” and will continue to keep him off school until further information comes to light.

Another mum said she is awaiting the results of water tests before she allows her two children to return.

Ann Davie, depute chief executive for education, people and business, said carbon monoxide monitors have been operating since Saturday and have shown no traces of the gas.

She said: “We are aware that some children were reporting that they had felt unwell on Tuesday, but there have been no reports of sickness in school since then.

“Myself and other senior officers have visited the school daily since it reopened and are working with the headteacher and school staff to provide reassurance and support to the school community.

“The council has given a commitment to review our policy on carbon monoxide monitors in schools. Current regulations require schools built after 2013 to have CO monitors fitted but this does not apply to older buildings.

“We are beginning a programme to install monitors in all schools and hope that this will provide some reassurance for everyone working and learning there.

“Given the situation at Balmuildy Primary School we are of course ensuring that documentation is in place in all schools.”

STV News is now on WhatsApp

Get all the latest news from around the country

Follow STV News
Follow STV News on WhatsApp

Scan the QR code on your mobile device for all the latest news from around the country

WhatsApp channel QR Code