Man left woman needing 70 stitches after slashing her in knife attack

Young, who has spent time in jail over a 2009 murder bid, attacked the woman last year.

Ryan Young left woman needing 70 stitches after slashing her head and face in Belshill knife attack Google Maps

A man left a woman needing 70 stitches after he slashed her during a row about an incident involving his mother.

Ryan Young was out on bail from a previous assault when he attacked the woman with a knife following the argument at a flat in Bellshill, Lanarkshire, last April.

The 28-year-old, who has also previously spent time in jail over an attempted murder more than a decade ago, left the victim with several wounds on her head, face and hands, including one that required 40 stitches alone, and needing surgery on her hand to repair nerve damage.

The ordeal only ended when she managed to get hold of a pair of scissors to fend him off.

Young is now facing another lengthy spell behind bars after he pled guilty to assaulting the woman to her severe injury and permanent disfigurement at the High Court in Glasgow.

As well as the 2009 murder bid the court heard he also has several other assault convictions.

Young was only on the streets for this latest incident after appeal sheriffs allowed him bail for a further accusation of violence.

Sentencing was deferred until next month.

The court heard the incident took place when the pair had been at the flat with others.

Prosecutor Mark Mohammed said there was an argument about an earlier “incident” concerning Young’s mum.

Young, for whatever reason, believed the victim’s brothers had been involved.

After the initial argument Young, who was armed with a knife, followed the woman as she went into the kitchen.

Mr Mohammed: “He began assaulting her with the knife by slashing her on the head and face.

“She also sustained defensive injuries when she grabbed the knife to defend herself.”

A topless Young fled the flat leaving his victim injured and bleeding.

He was later traced at a property in Coatbridge, Lanarkshire.

Rhona Anderson, defending, said: “It is clear that this was an atrocious assault and this is acknowledged by him.”

Lord Richardson deferred sentencing until March 21 in Edinburgh.

He told Young: “You have pled guilty to a violent and vicious attack in what must have been a terrifying assault for the victim.

“You have previous convictions for violence and this is further aggravated that you were on bail at the time.”

Young was remanded in custody.

STV News is now on WhatsApp

Get all the latest news from around the country

Follow STV News
Follow STV News on WhatsApp

Scan the QR code on your mobile device for all the latest news from around the country

WhatsApp channel QR Code