A convicted criminal involved in a brutal murder bid on a member of a crime family has been jailed for four years.
Ryan Quinn, 27, was the getaway driver as two machete-wielding accomplices leapt out to pounce on Robert Daniel last September 11.
Daniel was left with life-threatening injuries during the 60-second assault at a council dump in Glasgow’s west end.
A judge heard how Quinn had been recruited via social media to get involved for cash – and did not even know the 41-year-old.
On Thursday, Quinn was sentenced at the High Court in Glasgow having earlier admitted to an attempted murder charge.
Quinn – who already had eight assault convictions – had his jail-term cut by two years due to his guilty plea.
The court heard the victim – a member of the Glasgow-based Daniel crime clan – had been working that Saturday afternoon at the Dawsholm Recycling Centre near the city’s Anniesland.
Prosecutor Euan Cameron said the attack was “planned and targeted” although no motive was known.
He added: “The role of Quinn was as the driver of the car which transported the assailants to and from the scene.”
CCTV saw Mr Daniel sitting near the entrance as a black Ford Kuga pulled into the tip.
Mr Cameron said: “Two – as yet unidentified – males came from the rear both brandishing large machete type weapons.
“They made their way to Robert Daniel, who attempted to run off.
“Both were observed repeatedly striking him using the machetes. The attack lasted less than a minute.”
A witness meanwhile heard a man shout: “I did not mean it. I am sorry.”
Quinn spun the car around and the attackers – masked and wearing hi-vis clothing – jumped back in before the vehicle sped off.
The Ford – with false number plates – was later found burnt out near the city’s Yoker.
Mr Daniel was rushed to hospital with wounds to his thigh and lower left leg as well as a head fracture and ligament damage.
Medics concluded had he not received treatment he would have suffered “uncontrolled” bleeding leading to possible death.
Quinn was held on September 30 after being traced to a caravan park.
His lawyer Geoffrey Forbes said: “He was unemployed and had limited money which was his motive for becoming involved.
“He did not know (Daniel) and had no issue with him.
“He was approached through social media. He was not involved in the planning. This was directed by others unknown to him.”
Lady Stacey ordered Quinn to be supervised for two years on his release.
She told him: “This was a very violent attack. However, I can also accept that you did not know these people and that you were personally not involved in the planning.
“I have no information to the contrary.
“You yielded to temptation to take money knowing perfectly well that you were getting involved in a serious crime.”
Police Scotland welcomed the sentencing of Quinn on Thursday, with Detective Chief Inspector John Morrison commenting: “This was a planned attack in broad daylight in the middle of a busy area which left the victim with significant injuries.
“This type of crime will not be tolerated and we will continue to target those who are involved in this sort of activity as we work to make our communities safer. I hope this sentencing sends a clear message to anyone involved in criminality that you will be identified, brought to justice and made to face the consequences of your actions.
“We believe at least two other people were involved in this attack and rest assured we are doing everything we can to also bring them to justice.
“I would like to thank the public for their support and everyone involved in this investigation.”
STV News is now on WhatsApp
Get all the latest news from around the countryFollow STV News
Follow STV News on WhatsApp
Scan the QR code on your mobile device for all the latest news from around the country