A firm behind flats in Glasgow’s east end, which had to be evacuated after they were deemed “unsafe for occupation,” has launched a retrospective planning bid.
People were rehomed after it was discovered unauthorised work had been carried out at a site on Fielden Street, and there were fire and electrical safety concerns.
A new planning application, which admits residents were moved out of flats due to “lack of consents,” has been submitted by Beechtree Wright Ltd.
It states the bid, for retrospective permission to convert a B-listed warehouse into 18 residential flats, relates to two previous applications from Rosetree Homes Ltd.
One application has expired while the other has been withdrawn.
An investigation by the Daily Record stated dozens of tenants were being charged £600 a month for unfurnished flats, described as a building site, at Fielden Street.
The new plans state residents had been living on the site but “following notification from the council of unauthorised works and lack of consents, they have been rehomed”.
A project engineer contacted the council in March to acknowledge the “seriousness” of the situation and “discuss the best remedial route forward to achieve outstanding consents,” the application adds.
Construction work has ceased and the building is “currently empty other than 24 hour security and surveillance” according to plans.
A council spokesman said an initial enforcement case involved “non-compliance” with conditions of a listed building application, relating to windows and roofing materials.
He added a second case has been “requested for the unauthorised use of a warehouse as residential accommodation”.
Once a decision has been made on the new planning bid, enforcement officers will consider whether to take action over the unauthorised use.
The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) confirmed it was contacted by the Scottish Fire and Rescue Service in March this year “about two blocks of flats that were under construction and at various stages of completion”.
“Two inspectors from HSE attended the site on March 24 with representatives from the Scottish Fire and Rescue Service and Glasgow City Council,” he added.
He said: “It was agreed that due to concerns about fire safety and electrical safety, the occupied flats were unsafe for occupation.
“HSE is aware that residents from both blocks of flats were evacuated on a voluntary basis. HSE has taken action with the client for the development and the construction site is currently closed.”