Football fan who threw sweet at police car banned for eight years

Marc Cumming told officers he was not a member of the Union Bears group despite wearing a t-shirt bearing its logo during his arrest.

Rangers fan who ran on pitch after Scottish Cup defeat to Hibs banned for throwing sweet at police car SNS Group

A football fan who threw a boiled sweet at a police car has been banned from matches for eight years.

Marc Cumming, 25, was told by a sheriff that he cannot be trusted attend games following his third ban.

Cumming formed part of a group of Rangers diehards The Union Bears outside Ibrox Stadium on September 17, 2022.

He threw a boiled sweet at a police vehicle during a mass disturbance after a match against Dundee United.

He initially told officers he was not part of the group but during a search he was found to be wearing a Union Bears t-shirt.

Cumming and his twin brother were branded by another sheriff as a “disgrace to Rangers Football Club” in 2016 after they ran onto the pitch following the Scottish Cup final against Hibernian.

Cumming, of the city’s Easterhouse, was stated to have acted in an aggressive manner towards the opposition fans at the time.

He pled guilty at Glasgow Sheriff Court to his latest charge of breach of the peace.

The court heard that police were alerted to a “large scale disturbance” involving The Union Bears on Broomloan Road at 4.50pm.

Prosecutor Ryan Diamond said: “The Union Bears are understood to be a football casual group who are known to the police who regularly engage in disorder and violence with rivals fans and other Rangers fans.”

Around 50 people in dark coloured tracksuits – many wearing scarves and hoods to conceal their identity – were noted at the scene.

Officers attempted to contain the group.

Mr Diamond said: “Cumming was seen to jump into the area and throw an object at the front offside window of the public order carrier.

“He tried to make good his escape running north but was tripped up by an officer and taken to the prone position and arrested.”

Cumming was taken into custody where he denied knowledge of The Union Bears.

Mr Diamond added: “However, while being searched, he was seen to be wearing a t-shirt bearing the words Union Bears and no surrender.

“He later admitted being part of the group.”

Douglas McAllister, defending, told the court that he has directly analogous previous convictions from five and six years ago.

The lawyer added: “He described himself as being mildly intoxicated which is no excuse.

“The missile he threw he said was a boiled sweet from his pocket.

“Officers should not face this during their employment.”

Cumming was fined £450 and tagged for 245 days keeping him indoors between 8pm and 7am as well as the lengthy football ban.

Sheriff Valerie Mays said: “If you breach this order there will only be one outcome.

“You committed these offences only a couple of months after your previous football ban came to an end.

“You simply cannot be trusted to go to a football match.”

STV News is now on WhatsApp

Get all the latest news from around the country

Follow STV News
Follow STV News on WhatsApp

Scan the QR code on your mobile device for all the latest news from around the country

WhatsApp channel QR Code
Posted in