Rangers fan attacked and spat at police during title celebrations

William Walls, 34, assaulted constables Lauren Cooke and Ross Cavanagh in Glasgow's George Square in 2021.

Rangers fan attacked and spat at police during George Square title celebrations SNS Group

A Rangers fan lashed out and spat at police officers during the club’s title celebrations.

William Walls, 34, assaulted constables Lauren Cooke and Ross Cavanagh in Glasgow’s George Sqaure on May 15, 2021.

Walls had initially pushed an officer to the ground during his efforts to disrupt police from dispersing the crowd.

He then spat at the officers before being dealt with by leg restraints.

On Monday, Walls pled guilty at Glasgow Sheriff Court to resisting, obstructing or hindering police.

Walls, of the city’s Garthamlock, also admitted a single charge of assaulting the two officers.

Thousands of jubilant Rangers fans gathered in the city centre square that day to celebrate the club winning the Scottish Premiership.

Public order officers as well as regular constables were told to clear the crowd after 8.30pm.

Prosecutor Mark Allan said: “Walls was involved in repeatedly obstructing the path of the public order officers.

“He repeatedly refused to desist.

“This developed into a struggle with the police with Walls pushing out with his arms and legs in a deliberate effort to resist, obstruct and hinder their efforts.

“He caused a police officer to fall to the ground and he was injured as a result with cuts and scrapes to his arms.

“He then spat at PCs Cavanagh and Cooke before they were able to gain control of him.”

The spit fortunately made no contact with the officers.

They did, however, put a spit hood and leg restraints on him.

Bob McDowall, defending, told the court that Walls was not at the football that day but had visited a friend in Ayr before returning to Glasgow.

The lawyer added: “He became involved in what he perceived to be happy celebrations at George Square that evening.

“He was trying to get home and had tried to exit George Square at Hanover Street.

“The police operation was to move the crowd to the south west corner of Queen Street and in his point of view the police were blocking his way.

“They were doing their jobs pushing the crowd back and he tried to get through and he did as he did.

“He is genuinely remorseful and he has not been to any football game since.”

It was revealed Walls has previous convictions for offences involving drugs and a breach of a community payback order.

Sheriff Lindsay Wood deferred sentence pending background reports until next month.

He told Walls: “You are in serious difficulties.”

Bail was granted meantime.

STV News is now on WhatsApp

Get all the latest news from around the country

Follow STV News
Follow STV News on WhatsApp

Scan the QR code on your mobile device for all the latest news from around the country

WhatsApp channel QR Code