Fans clash before cup final as four arrested over Hampden disorder

Supporters of Rangers and Celtic fought outside the national stadium after police granted groups early access to set up banners.

Rangers and Celtic fans clash before Viaplay Cup final as four arrested over Hampden disorder iStock

Four people have been arrested in connection with disorder leading up to Sunday’s Viaplay Cup Final at Hampden after football chiefs granted a selection of fans early access to the national stadium to set up banners.

Supporters of Rangers and Celtic clashed before the match at the arena in clips widely shared on social media while groups were readying displays which were held aloft by the crowd prior to kick off.

An investigation into a series of incidents remains ongoing, but Police Scotland confirmed a handful of arrests had already been made.

Officers said fans of Celtic had been allowed into the stadium on Saturday, while their Rangers equivalents were admitted on Sunday morning.

But a brawl broke out as fans of both sides converged outside the stadium shortly after 9am.

On the pitch, Celtic lifted the trophy for the second straight season courtesy of a double by striker Kyogo Furuhashi.

Chief superintendent Mark Sutherland, divisional commander for Greater Glasgow said: “Prior to today’s match supporters of both clubs had been granted pre-arranged access to Hampden Park by the stadium operators to set up displays, with Celtic on Saturday, February 25 and Rangers on the morning of Sunday, February 26.

“A stewarding and policing plan was in place to support this arrangement. At around 8.50am on Sunday, 26 February, 2023, during this pre-arranged attendance, a disturbance took place outside the stadium involving supporters from both clubs.

“I commend the work of our officers who acted swiftly in challenging circumstances to prevent escalation and disperse those intent on disorder.

“No arrests could be made at the time and we will now be investigating the circumstances, I would expect the footballing authorities and both clubs will do likewise and take appropriate action.”

He added: “After the match police intervened or responded to a small number of incidents, including on Victoria Road, which were quickly resolved.

“Only four arrests were made for disorder related offences and assault and I would like to thank the vast majority of supporters in attendance.

“Our policing operation continues this evening with a proportionate plan to keep people safe.”

STV News is now on WhatsApp

Get all the latest news from around the country

Follow STV News
Follow STV News on WhatsApp

Scan the QR code on your mobile device for all the latest news from around the country

WhatsApp channel QR Code