Prisoners admit killing man after attack in cell

Three men assaulted 47-year-old Darren Brownlie in a cell at HMP Low Moss Prison, Bishopbriggs, on January 6.

Three prisoners have admitted killing a dad-of-two who was facing trial for attempting to abduct a six-year-old boy.

Craig Derrick, 31, Brian Laing, 27, and David Till, 33, attacked 47-year-old Darren Brownlie in a cell at HMP Low Moss Prison in Bishopbriggs on January 6.

The High Court in Glasgow heard Brownlie, who was on remand awaiting trial for attempting to snatch the boy from a car in Spey Road, Bearsden, on June 25, last year, was kicked and punched on the head and body.

Brownlie was summoned to Derrick’s cell and the fatal attack involving all three accused took just 66 seconds.

Prosecutor Paul Kearney said: “Mr Brownlie had a number of injuries to his face and was bleeding heavily from his nose. He was examined by a nurse who suspected he had broken ribs.”

An ambulance was requested at 5.28pm, but it was not until 10.13pm that paramedics began treating Mr Brownlie, who was by then lying unresponsive on the floor of the cell.

During the almost five hours it took to get medical help Mr Brownlie was put in an observation cell and checked on by staff.

Mr Kearney said: “On a number of occasions Mr Brownlie pressed the emergency buzzer in the cell and witness Graham Bride heard him being told by a member of staff ‘stop pressing the f***ing buzzer. I’ve told you help is on the way.'”

Derrick, Laing and Till admitted the culpable homicide of Mr Brownlie on Thursday. They were originally charged with murder, but their plea to a reduced charged was accepted by the Crown.

Mr Brownlie died from internal bleeding caused by a ruptured spleen and also had broken ribs.

Mr Kearney added: “Mr William Tullet, an accident and emergency consultant at Glasgow Royal Infirmary said that in his opinion had he received timeous pre-hospital treatment for his blood loss and transferred to hospital for surgery he would, in all probability, have survived.”

The court heard that a non-emergency call was made to the ambulance service at 5.28pm. A check made between 7.15pm and 7.30pm revealed Mr Brownlie had vomited and was complaining of being cold.

Another call was made at 7.36pm and a further one at 7.38pm saying it was an emergency. Despite this it was not until 9.45pm that an ambulance was assigned to go to the prison.

An ambulance finally arrived at the prison gates at 9.59pm and there was a delay in it being admitted. Mr Brownlie died at 10.34pm.

The court heard Mr Brownlie was accused of ripping other prisoners off by swapping less potent prescription drugs for legal highs.

Judge Lord Matthews deferred sentence on all three accused until next month and ordered background and risk assessment reports.

Defence counsel for the accused will give their pleas in mitigation then.

STV News is now on WhatsApp

Get all the latest news from around the country

Follow STV News
Follow STV News on WhatsApp

Scan the QR code on your mobile device for all the latest news from around the country

WhatsApp channel QR Code