Driver ‘did not realise’ that bus was on fire as passengers evacuated

Emergency services were called to Linkwood Drive, Drumchapel, after the bus went up in flames on Wednesday.

A moving double decker bus had to be evacuated after the driver “did not realise” it had burst into flames on a road in Glasgow.

Christopher Leyden, who was driving behind the First Bus 6A service on Linkwood Drive, Drumchapel, described how he frantically tried to get the driver’s attention – as he was seemingly unaware the back of his vehicle was on fire.

“I was driving along Linkwood Avenue and I noticed a small flame with smoke coming from the bus that was in front of me,” he told STV News.

“I then realised that the driver didn’t know about the fire that was taking place at the back because he continued to drive the bus.

“I started to drive towards the bus at speed and continued to beep my horn until I got the driver’s attention.

“The bus stopped to let people off and I reversed my car away from the bus in case it exploded.”

Christopher leapt out of his car and ran towards the flaming bus to make sure the driver knew what was happening. When he reached the front the driver had already got out.

“It looked like he was in distress,” Christopher said.

“He was standing at the front of the bus, so I asked the driver if he was okay and if he could stand away from the bus until emergency services arrived.”

The road was locked down by emergency services for over an hour as two fire crews tackled the inferno at around 6.35pm on Wednesday.

Dramatic footage from the scene shows flames shooting out from the back of the moving bus as smoke fills the air.

The Scottish Fire and Rescue Service tackled the blaze and confirmed nobody was injured during the incident.

A Scottish Fire and Rescue Service spokesperson said: “We were alerted at 6.35pm on Wednesday, April 6, to reports of a bus on fire at Linkwood Drive, Glasgow.

“Operations Control mobilised two fire appliances to the scene and firefighters extinguished a fire affecting one bus.

“There were no reported casualties and crews left after ensuring the area was made safe.”

A Police Scotland spokesperson said: “Officers were called to a bus on fire on Linkwood Drive, Glasgow at around 6.40pm on Wednesday,  April 6, 2022.

“There were no reported injuries and the bus was uplifted.”

STV News is now on WhatsApp

Get all the latest news from around the country

Follow STV News
Follow STV News on WhatsApp

Scan the QR code on your mobile device for all the latest news from around the country

WhatsApp channel QR Code