Owners warned after dog eats biscuit laced with pins

This is now the eighth report linked to the same area of Glasgow over the past two years.

Owners warned after dog eats biscuit laced with pins Email

A further warning has been issued to pet owners after a dog ingested a biscuit laced with pins – the eighth incident of its kind in the same area of Glasgow over the past two years.

The Scottish SPCA is working with the police to find the person responsible.

The potentially-deadly biscuits have been left in the Dorset Square area of Anderston.

The animal welfare charity was first alerted in March 2018. The most recent incident took place last Thursday, which is the first report of a dog actually consuming one of the biscuits.

The animal was uninjured after naturally passing the pins.

Scottish SPCA chief inspector Elaine Lindsay said, “We are determined to find out who is responsible for leaving these items, which are designed to harm or kill an animal.

“We are so thankful that the dog wasn’t hurt after eating the biscuit. This situation could have been so much worse.

“This is the eighth report we have received of dog biscuits with damaging materials in. Previously biscuits have been found embedded with nails and needles.

“We would ask everyone in the area to be vigilant, especially those who walk their dogs in the area.

“We would urge people to keep their dogs on a lead to ensure they don’t ingest anything that could cause injury.

“We are saddened that we have to repeat this appeal for information and the person behind this is determined to deliberately harm an animal. 

“This is an offence punishable by law. We are working closely with Police Scotland to find the person responsible.”

If you have any information, call the Scottish SPCA’s confidential animal helpline on 03000 999 999.