‘No further action’ after Galloway attends football match

Police have spoken to Queen of the South football club after the politician attended a match on Boxing Day.

Police have said they will take no further action after politician George Galloway attended a Queen of the South football match on Boxing Day. 

The former MP tweeted a picture from the Scottish Championship match in Dumfries, which Dundee won 3-1, on the day mainland Scotland moved into level four of the coronavirus restrictions which prohibits stadia being open to spectators.

Following a backlash from fans, the club was forced to issue a second statement that explained Galloway was given permission to attend the match when the region was in tier one.

The board said it was a “genuine mistake” and accepted it should have informed Galloway that he could no longer attend the game due to the change in levels.

On Monday, Police Scotland said it had spoken to Queen of the South over the rule breach, adding that no further action will be taken over the matter.

A Police Scotland spokesperson said: “We have spoken to Queen of the South to explain the legislation and remind the club of their responsibilities to comply with the law.

“Police Scotland will not be taking any further action in relation to this matter.”

The club’s first statement, issued on Sunday, said: “We can confirm that George Galloway did attend our game against Dundee at Palmerston yesterday.

“He was socially distant within an area of the ground where he formed a bubble with his family.  All Covid protocols were followed at all times.

“We would like to apologise to our supporters who have been upset by his attendance at the match.”

On social media, Galloway defended his attendance, stating he lived in Dumfries and Galloway, his family had five season tickets, and he was “about to be a sponsor”.

On Monday morning, the club issued a further apology.

In a statement, the board said: “Reflecting on our statement to the fans last night we realise that we should have given a fuller apology.

“George Galloway was granted permission to attend our game against Dundee when Dumfries and Galloway was in tier one and fans were being allowed back into matches. 

“We however accept that we should’ve readdressed the decision once the rules changed and should’ve informed Mr Galloway that he could no longer attend the match.

“We realise it was a total error of judgement and we should have been more considerate of our loyal supporters.

“We would again like to issue an unreserved apology to our fans and would like to reassure them that we fully accept and understand their anger. It was a genuine mistake that shouldn’t have been made.

“As we navigate our way through some tough times both on and off the park your valued support is needed more than ever.”

STV News is now on WhatsApp

Get all the latest news from around the country

Follow STV News
Follow STV News on WhatsApp

Scan the QR code on your mobile device for all the latest news from around the country

WhatsApp channel QR Code