Neglectful mum left dying 13-year-old daughter to go to pub

Robyn Goldie was found dead at her Wishaw home after mum Sharon left her alone to go out drinking with friends.

A mum left her dying daughter alone to go to the pub – before insisting she was “at it” when the 13-year-old’s body was found slumped on the sofa.

Sharon Goldie claimed Robyn Goldie was “attention seeking” despite the sick child begging for help.

After arriving home, the 45-year-old found her daughter slumped on the couch, but left her to go out to the garden to have a drink with a friend.

It was only after they eventually discovered Robyn was dead that an ambulance was finally called for.

On Thursday at Glasgow High Court, a judge heard how the schoolgirl had suffered a year of horrific neglect before her death including being forced to ask someone for £1 to get food.

Goldie pleaded guilty to a charge under the Children and Young Persons Act of wilfully ill-treating and neglecting Robyn, who died after suffering a burst stomach ulcer.

Prosecutors accepted Goldie’s not guilty plea to the culpable homicide of her daughter. She will learn her fate next month.

Robyn had lived with Goldie until she was four before moving in with her gran.

She had earlier been put on the child protection register after Goldie was found to be drunk while supposedly caring for her daughter.

Robyn had also once been forced to call a gas company complaining of being cold.

This led to the child staying with her gran until 2017 in what was described as a “stable life”.

Robyn then returned to her mum in Wishaw, Lanarkshire, due to a number of reasons including starting secondary school. But, the court heard social workers continued to monitor the pair.

Prosecutor Ashley Edwards QC said: “Goldie was offered – on various occasions – the opportunity to attend parenting classes. She declined to attend.”

Ms Edwards added: “Goldie asked for [Robyn)]to be removed from her care.”

Social workers visited the pair – often un-announced – with arguing between them described as “common”. The house was also said to be stinking of cat urine.

The court heard how Robyn told a friend she did not like her mum drinking.

It was at this time Goldie appeared to be a regular at the Melody Bar in Wishaw.

Ms Edwards said: “Robyn was often seen attending there looking for Goldie and asking for money to buy food.

“She also often approached a neighbour asking for £1 to get food.”

Robyn once said she only had a yoghurt that day. The child was described as “thin, dirty and unkempt”.

The court heard Robyn would also film Goldie – who slapped and bit her daughter – screaming at her.

The child told friends how drunken Goldie would offer her cannabis and alcohol while “constantly” insisting she did not want her in the house.

In March 2018, Robyn was then found to have a rash caused by fleas.

The week before her death, Robyn was given painkillers after complaining of a sore stomach and legs.

On July 21, Goldie then told staff at the Melody Bar she had “locked” her daughter in the house “so she could not get out”.

The next day, Robyn complained to a friend she had been ill and not eaten for days. But, on July 24, Robyn texted her gran claiming she felt “a lot better”.

However, a friend of Goldie saw the “drained” girl that day and told the mum: “She’s just not well.”

That night, Robyn told Goldie to get help as she had “pain all over”. Her mum refused.

Another friend of Goldie said he would go with Robyn in a taxi to hospital, but she stopped him claiming the girl was “attention seeking”.

The next day, Robyn begged a neighbour to get her an ambulance as she could not breathe, but her mum yelled at her to “get in”.

On July 26, the day Robyn passed away, Goldie went to the pub despite her daughter being ill.

She then returned home with a friend to find Robyn slumped on a sofa. There was no response from Robyn.

Ms Edwards said: “Goldie and the man got another drink from the fridge and went outside ‘because the weather was nice’.”

The friend later checked on Robyn again and discovered she was dead.

An ambulance was called, but Goldie told paramedics: “She’s at it.”

On then being told her daughter had passed away, a suddenly “wailing” Goldie stated: “No, she cannot be.”

Robyn was found to have died from peritonitis as a result of a perforated ulcer. A senior medic concluded that had the teenager been treated during her illness, she would have been “expected to survive”.

The court heard Goldie – who still lives at the same house – had suffered a brain injury following a car accident when she was a child.

In 2003, she was an in-patient for mental health issues, but stopped taking her medication. The hearing was told she does not appear to have had further treatment.

Lord Beckett continued her bail meantime. 

He told her: “It is a serious case, but I want more information before deciding what to do.”

STV News is now on WhatsApp

Get all the latest news from around the country

Follow STV News
Follow STV News on WhatsApp

Scan the QR code on your mobile device for all the latest news from around the country

WhatsApp channel QR Code