Bosses at the McVitie’s factory in Tollcross are “carefully considering” a plan which unions and politicians believe could save almost 500 jobs.
The Pladis Action Group — led by economy secretary Kate Forbes and council leader Susan Aitken — tabled an alternative proposal on Tuesday, July 27, in an attempt to keep McVitie’s jobs in Glasgow.
It includes building a new factory on a nearby site, unions have said.
Pladis, which owns the plant, issued redundancy notices to more than 450 workers last month.
The company, a subsidiary of Turkish conglomerate Yildiz Holding, claimed it needed to “take steps to address excess capacity in the UK”.
Unions, the Scottish Government and Glasgow City Council have been working together, through the action group, on potential options to save the at-risk jobs.
Now, Pladis management is assessing the counter-proposal, which has been described as “compelling”.
A company spokesperson said: “We have been presented with an alternative proposal as part of the formal consultation process.
“We are carefully considering and evaluating the details of these proposals and will be responding to them through the formal consultation process.”
Yildiz acquired McVitie’s when it took over United Biscuits in 2014. The Tollcross factory has been open for almost 100 years.
Following the tabling of the counter-proposal, council leader Susan Aitken said partners had “worked tirelessly” to pull the plan together.
“This proposal is compelling and would secure a future for Pladis in the city.”
David Hume, from the GMB, believes the proposal offers Pladis “everything it needs to maintain manufacturing in the East End of Glasgow for the next generation, ensuring employment and opportunity for the local community that depends on it”.
Unite’s Pat McIlvogue added: “We believe the proposal put forward to build a new factory on a nearby site will produce efficiency savings and make this one of the most advanced biscuit manufacturing sites in the UK.”
Story by local democracy reporter Drew Sandelands