Two men jailed for second time over historic abuse at school

Matthew George and John Muldoon had previously been jailed in 2006 over a number of similar offences at the school.

Matthew George and John Muldoon jailed over historic physical and sexual abuse at Kerelaw Residential School COPFS

Two former employees at a residential school have been jailed for a second time after carrying out of catalogue of physical and sexual abuse against former pupils. 

Matthew George, 73, and John Muldoon, 69, both from Ayrshire, were found guilty following a six-week trial at the High Court in Glasgow. 

The pair’s 28 victims, who are now all adults, did not appear in court and instead gave pre-recorded video testimonies.

Former art teacher, George, and ex-care worker, Muldoon, physically and sexually abused children in their care while they were both employed at Kerelaw Residential School in Stevenston, Ayrshire. 

The two men had previously been jailed in 2006 having been found guilty of a number of similar offences in relation to pupils at the same school. 

After more complainers came forward they stood trial again, appearing at the High Court in Glasgow at the end of 2022. 

The men were found guilty of a total of 55 new charges – George of 39 of these while Muldoon was convicted on 16. 

The offending covered a 28-year period from 1975 until 2004, with 20 male victims and eight female victims. 

Twenty-one complainers gave ‘evidence by commissioner’, a special measure which enables vulnerable witnesses to have their evidence filmed in advance of the trial under judicial supervision.  

The High Court heard 29 hours of video testimony from the victims over the course of the trial, with some speaking for more than three hours as they recounted their experiences. 

Six victims died before having the opportunity to take part in the filming process and another was too unwell to give pre-recorded evidence.  

Prosecutors were able to utilise prior statements given to police, which were read to the court.

The Crown also reviewed nearly 13,000 pieces of documentary evidence in preparation for trial. 

Both George and Muldoon had worked for many years at Kerelaw, then known as a ‘List D’ secure establishment for vulnerable or troubled youngsters. 

Their offending continued until they were suspended from work, a short time prior to the school’s eventual closure. 

At the High Court in Dundee on Friday, Matthew George was sentenced to 16 years imprisonment, while John Muldoon was jailed for 12 years. 

Fraser Gibson, Scotland’s Procurator Fiscal for High Court sexual offences, said the case demonstrated the Crown’s commitment to ensuring the voices of victims were heard. 

He said: “The two accused were in positions of trust for many years. They abused that trust over and over again. 

“The victims bravely came forward to tell what happened to them in childhood within a school environment where they should have been safe. They endured traumatising experiences which damaged their adult lives. 

“Our skilled prosecutors were able to use special measures for these vulnerable witnesses, to ease as much as possible the process of giving evidence. 

“At COPFS we are determined to use every tool at our disposal in the pursuit of justice and to support victims through the system in every way we can. 

“I would urge any victim of similar offending, no matter how long ago, to come forward, report it and seek help.” 

STV News is now on WhatsApp

Get all the latest news from around the country

Follow STV News
Follow STV News on WhatsApp

Scan the QR code on your mobile device for all the latest news from around the country

WhatsApp channel QR Code