A man who insisted he tried to be a “great boyfriend” has been convicted of raping and trying to kill his former partner.
Martin Myles left the woman in agony and begging for help following the attack at a flat in Airdrie, Lanarkshire in April 2020.
The 39-year-old denied being violent and claimed the victim was instead injured following a fight with two other women.
Myles, also of Airdrie, now faces a lengthy jail-term after being convicted of rape and attempted murder, a separate rape charge, assault and acting in a threatening and abusive manner.
He had been on bail at the High Court in Glasgow, but was remanded in custody pending sentencing next month.
Jurors heard how Myles carried out sex attacks on the woman in 2018 and 2019.
The former partner would pretend she was asleep, hoping he would stop, or feel so helpless that she would simply stare into space.
She also suffered physical attacks, with her being described as “covered in bruises”.
But Myles insisted any marks were often caused by the woman’s “own misfortune” and not by him.
The rape and murder bid then occurred on April 25 and 26, 2020.
Prosecutor Victoria Dow put to Myles during his evidence that the woman “nearly died” having suffered a “traumatic injury” to her bowel.
She said: “You do not accept it was caused by forceful kicks by you?”
Myles replied: “No.”
The trial heard that he then repeatedly refused to let the distressed victim get medical help.
He claimed she was hurt after getting into a row with two women.
Ms Dow said: “So, according to you, there was no aggression between you and her that night?”
Myles replied: “We had a bit of an argument.”
The advocate depute said: “Looking at your police interview, you are a great boyfriend during the relationship?”
He replied: “I tried my best, yes.”
It was later put to Myles that it must have been a “real surprise” to then be blamed for the crimes.
He told jurors: “It was a big shock that she had told paramedics that I had assaulted her.”
He also stated that any sex between the two was consensual.
Lord Stuart deferred sentencing for reports.
STV News is now on WhatsApp
Get all the latest news from around the countryFollow STV News
Follow STV News on WhatsApp
Scan the QR code on your mobile device for all the latest news from around the country