Man who sent GP bomb threat caught with explosive device at home

Christopher Scarr told nurses he learned how to make bombs from 'being in the army'.

Man who sent Glasgow GP bomb threat caught with explosive device at home STV News

A man who caused a mass evacuation and lockdown after claiming he had built a homemade bomb was caught with an explosive device in his home.

Christopher Scarr was arrested after a device was discovered in a cupboard at the property in Glasgow’s Springburn on April 17, 2023.

The 41-year-old had earlier emailed a doctor’s surgery and told them that he had built a bomb.

Scarr told nurses he learned how to make bombs from “being in the army”.

At Glasgow Sheriff Court on Friday, Scarr pled guilty to behaving in a threatening or abusive manner and admitted making or knowingly being in possession or control of an explosive substance.

The court heard that Scarr sent an email to Springburn Medical Practice shortly after midnight on April 17.

He wrote: “I don’t know why I trusted you with information I never divulged to any soul.

“The housing officer sent armed police to my door and that got me angry as last time I saw you they alleged I assaulted [a woman].

“I have built a TRI factor bomb with black powder igniting the thermite and causing nitrogen high explosive all connected to three anti-personal percussion mines that are also friction activated.

“I will take a picture of the device I constructed, I have now taken the device apart. But I’m really worried that they might force me into something I don’t want to do.

“I don’t want to kill anybody but I’m finding it hard to keep my cool.”

Staff at the practice called police.

Officers raided his property and found a device made of three black tubes with orange wire twisted on to a black box.

Scarr was arrested and around 60 residents were forced to flee their homes.

The device was later found to be three pyrotechnics held together for outside use which would flash and bang when activated.

The device was examined by specialist officers who found it contained an explosive substance.

However, it was stated that “the initiation system of the suspected device was not viable”.

Once ignited, the device would be thrown to the ground and five seconds later it would explode with a flash followed by a loud bang.

Prosecutor Alasdair Knox said: “The misuse or modification of such pyrotechnic items is a hazardous activity that has the potential to accidently initiate any of the contained explosive substance causing injury to people and damage to property nearby at the time of ignition.

“Such pyrotechnic items are designed to be used in the open, away from flammable material.”

Greg Cunningham, defending, told the court: “He was at the end of his tether for his mental health.

“They found this modified purchasable item which would have a flash and loud bang.

“He has served the equivalent of a 22 month sentence on remand for something that has a loud bang.”

Sheriff Andrew Cubie replied that he did not accept the explanation adding: “This isn’t something that goes bang in a vacuum.

“He did this in the context which caused the staff at the practice to be concerned and called the police.”

Sentence was deferred until May pending background reports and Scarr’s remand in custody was continued.

STV News is now on WhatsApp

Get all the latest news from around the country

Follow STV News
Follow STV News on WhatsApp

Scan the QR code on your mobile device for all the latest news from around the country

WhatsApp channel QR Code