Man who raped and sexually assaulted boys and woman 'may never be released'

Christopher Rodger preyed on three boys and a woman in Dumfries and Galloway between 2005 and 2015

Man who raped and sexually assaulted boys and woman ‘may never be released’SNS Group

A man who subjected a woman and three young boys to a string of sexual and violent assaults has been given a life sentence for his crimes. 

Christopher Rodger, 42, preyed on his victims, who cannot be named for legal reasons, at locations in Dumfries and Galloway between 2005 and 2015. 

The High Court in Edinburgh heard evidence that risk assessors concluded Rodger was at a high risk of sexual reoffending if at liberty. 

On Wednesday, judge Lady Hood concluded that the only sentence which could be imposed in the circumstances was for Rodger to be given an order for lifelong restriction. This means Rodger will only be released from custody once the parole board have concluded he no longer poses a risk to public safety. 

Passing sentence, Lady Hood told Rodger that he’d have to serve a minimum of seven and a half years before he could apply for parole. 

She added: “You will be only released from prison when the parole board assesses and concluded that you will not the harm the public at large. 

“I am satisfied that the physical and psychological well being of the public would be placed at risk if you were at liberty. 

“I am satisfied that in all the circumstances that only the imposition of an order for lifelong restriction is appropriate in the circumstances.”

Rodger, of Balerno, near Edinburgh, had earlier stood trial on rape and physical and sexual assault charges. 

He had denied any wrongdoing. 

A jury heard evidence how Rodger raped a woman on various occasions between September 2005 and November 2010 at addresses in Dumfries, Gatehouse of Fleet and Kirkcudbright. 

Rodger had also physically assaulted her during the time. Jurors heard evidence about how he would punch, kick and slap her. 

At the same time, he was raping the female, Rodger was sexually assaulting an eight-year-old boy which continued for five years. A jury heard how Rodger also downloaded pornography onto the boy’s computer and forced him to watch the material. 

He also repeatedly raped the boy on various occasions between December 2010 and June 2011. 

Rodger also performed a sex act on an 11-year-old boy sometime between April 1, 2007 and April 20, 2007 at an address in Dumfries. 

He then sexually assaulted another boy on various occasions between January 1, 2015 and December 31, 2015. 

He was only brought to justice after police learned about his activities and brought him to justice. 

Sentence was deferred on Rodger for the court to obtain background reports. 

On Wednesday, the case called for sentencing at the High Court in Edinburgh. 

Defence advocate Mark Mohammed KC said that there was no evidence that Rodger had offended after his final crimes in 2015. 

He said this meant the court didn’t need to impose an order for lifelong restriction and could impose an extended sentence – meaning he’d be supervised by the authorities for a period of time after his release from jail. 

Mr Mohammed added: “He’s been living a law abiding life for the past ten years. 

“It is my submission that a significant custodial sentence and a significant extended sentence would be appropriate in the circumstances.”

However, Lady Hood concluded that only an order for lifelong restriction would be appropriate in the circumstances. 

Rodger was also told he’d be placed on the Sex Offenders Register for the rest of his life.

STV News is now on WhatsApp

Get all the latest news from around the country

Follow STV News
Follow STV News on WhatsApp

Scan the QR code on your mobile device for all the latest news from around the country

WhatsApp channel QR Code

Today's Top Stories

Popular Videos

Latest in Glasgow & West

Trending Now